WEB DEVS/DESIGNERS - Photoshop/Images

WEB DEVS/DESIGNERS - Photoshop/Images

I am a new web/software developer. I know C#, HTML, and CSS and I am currently learning JavaScript as well. I am currently working on developing my first website and my portfolio. My question is, how can you be a web developer/designer WITHOUT doing a lot of photoshop work? Obviously, making and working with custom graphics that appear on websites is a big part of web development… And I have the skills to do this (I used to when I was much younger), however, my favorite and most strongest area is writing code… I love writing code.

So, say a girl wants me to make her a website for her make-up selling businesses as my first project… How would I go about incorporating images into the page? What if she needs a logo design? Or is that outside the scope of my job as a web developer…

What exactly IS my job as a web developer other than writing HTML, CSS, and programming? What do clients expect out of us? Can I just ask for their color choices and a handful of images and go to town or am I expected to come up with all of that?

In short, with juggling HTML, CSS, C#, and JavaScript… Out of all areas, I’d like PhotoShop work to be on the backburner. Is this realistic or do I need to be a pro photoshopper as well? Thanks.

@P1xt Thanks for that insight! That was amazingly good information! One question I have for you on that topic… What do you prefer your clients to provide to you in an ideal situation? As a developer, do you basically want them to hand you a picture of how all of the pages are to be laid out (a blueprint) and then your job is simply to code that all up?

In your experience, what type of information do clients commonly provide to you when they hire you? Thanks again so much… You are very helpful.

@P1xt Thanks for the outline. Do you have any comments on current web design trends of image-heaviness? I’ve noticed one of the biggest things that separates these modern, trendy, hip websites from older ones is they are extremely image-heavy… For example: http://www.bodybuilding.com http://www.simplepickup.com http://www.greatist.com are all image-heavy as heck. And these all feature pretty trendy designs… However besides that, I’ve noticed that most sites are quite simple… They seem to have nav on either top right or left and then main content in middle… As a web developer, what makes each project so different for you? Aside from the logos and unique images, I do see a pattern with most websites.

I agree. A lot of websites seems the same and it would probably get repetitive making them and difficult trying to make each one unique. But I think that’s because all the websites your looking at/thinking of serve relatively the same purpose. They’re advertising their service or product or company. Maybe those are the types of things you want to make, and that’s great if you enjoy it and can do it. But me personally, what I’m more interested in making is more of what would be known as a “web app” as opposed to a “web site”.

Some examples of web apps:

Now maybe you aren’t interested in this sort of web development, in which case this post of mine is pretty useless to you. However, you say you’re more interested in the code. I’m not sure if you mean the code you write to make the page look how it looks(HTML/CSS) or the code that makes a web site(app) function, or if you’re even far enough along on your personal journey to see that line.

Personally, I couldn’t stand to create static web sites for businesses or otherwise for a living, and instead I want to create things that people can do more than just read, but that they can use. I don’t even really want to have any part in the design of the website or how it looks. So for me I don’t really worry about things getting repetitive, because with each new project, the functionality of the web app that I’m trying to make will be completely different, so it will have to look different as well. Then the only big question when it comes to the design is how to make it as intuitive to use as possible for the user.

Anyway, those were just my long, and possibly irrelevant, thoughts.

@jonlove No I appreciate your input! This is what makes this community so great. Opinions and thoughts on things is what separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom.

Anyway, I like your perspective on the websites… I hadn’t realize I was only noticing “reading” sites as you would call them (vs web apps). And now that you bring it to my attention, I think I would prefer to work on web apps. In fact, some of my ideas that I’ve had that have driven this entire expedition into coding could be deployed as web apps.

As far as back or front end… I can tell you this… I learned C# a recently and I love it. So far, I do enjoy writing code in C# more than HTML/CSS/JavaScript (although I’ve barely written any JS, I find the lack of classes and object system confusing compared to C#). So I’m going to go with saying that I’m more of a back-end/functionality guy than a design or HTML/CSS type of guy… This may have to do with the fact that I learned C++, PHP, and Python at like age 13 briefly. HOWEVER… Ask me in 6 months because at this point, it may just be that I am favoring C# because I know C# best… And honestly, I want to stick with it until I really have some solid experience just for the sake of persistence before I start delving every which way…

That said, I have made a very solid effort in learning HTML, CSS, and now Bootstrap. I spent 3 days reading over 500 pages of a HTML/CSS book and actually soaked up the info. I do enjoy playing with divs and color… But it’s definitely harder for me. Logic and class structure and stuff like that are surprisingly easier for me at this point. But I’m here to challenge myself and push myself to improve… Which means conquering my weaknesses. So, stay tuned! And let me know if you want in on the pair coding Ive been getting into. We’re actually going to make a web app.

That’s awesome! I’m actually in a similar boat to you. But instead of C# I started with Lua. But yeah, even for people who like to work on the back-end it’s important to have a solid understanding of HTML/CSS.

Yeah, I’d love to be!