Welcome! Please introduce yourself here

:confetti_ball: Welcome to Free Code Campā€™s forum. :confetti_ball:

Please introduce yourself by replying to this thread with:

• who you are
  • why youā€™re learning to code
  • how youā€™ve been learning to code so far
128 Likes

Hi, everyone! My name is Abolaji Ayoola.
Iā€™m a 17yo from Nigeria, After dipping my toes in web development and designing some static webpages with HTML/CSS with the help WordPress, I got curious about how everything works and decided to learn to code for real.
Iā€™m currently working my way through FreeCodeCampā€™s Front End Development Curriculum, and It has been a very interesting and challenging journey since I started in February.

101 Likes

Who You Are :
Rick Stewart, 56

Why Youā€™re Learning To Code:
Iā€™m learning to code because of a long standing interest in programming and a fascination with the wonders and marvels of the Internet and the Web. Previously I worked for many years in telecommunications and electronics, and by the time I completed my Cisco CCNA/CCNP I could clearly see the interest bubbling up to understand the coding underling all of it. Right now I see coding as a really good career move for myself, and a perfect match for my interests and life style goals.

How Youā€™ve Been Learning to Code So Far:
Iā€™ve been coding for some years now. I took quite a few Computer Science courses through an online University a few years ago, mostly in Java. Iā€™m very glad these included courses in Algorithmic Design and Analysis and OS Design Principles as I think the coding camps would not have given me that. After that I learned C#/.NET by doing a few of my own projects. I could see at that point a more structured approach to continuing my education would be very helpful and I found The Odin Project. I worked on the curriculum there until the most excellent FreeCodeCamp project came to my attention, and after a bit of ā€˜toe dippingā€™ I realized FCC would be a much better fit for me. So here I am, just about to finish off the first part, Front End Development.

Codepen

54 Likes

who you are
My name is RĆ©mi Fortier, 31yrs old. Iā€™m currently a webdesigner for the government. I mainly maintain our websites in TYPO3, update files and do basic stuff.
why youā€™re learning to code
Iā€™ve always been curious and couldnā€™t bear seeing code everyday without being able to read it. Was it php for our wordpress, or typo3/typoscriptā€¦ I really needed to step up my game and learn it. Nobody pushed me that way, it was a personnal move to get better at what I do. Iā€™ve been mastering HTML/CSS for over a decade but nothing ever asked me to code.
how youā€™ve been learning to code so far
Like so many people, iā€™ve wandered from tutorials to tutorials learning the basics, not practicing and then forgetting stuffā€¦ I started with Python, then Ruby, then Ruby on rails, and after that there was an halt. Then one day I discovered FCC and was amazed by itā€™s content, itā€™s community and what it had to offerā€¦ all for free!

I have dedicated a steady 2-3 hours a day from july 2015 to december 2015. What I thought would be hard to keep up turned out to be really addicting. The game was to ā€œsolve problemsā€, to pass the tests of the various challenges. I earned my Frontend certificate somewhere in december and since then, I try and stay updated. The trick is to code, everyday. What is hard for me is ā€œwhat to codeā€, when thereā€™s nothing really asking you to do anything.

I got back to FCC 2 weeks ago, mainly helping people on the chat and updating my old codepen code. I want to get better and maybe get a frontend dev job !

33 Likes

Hello campers! My name is Matthew and I have been programming since basic on the TI-83. I am learning to code because I enjoy the practical application of programming and being able to read the new library I call github. My approach to learning is a mixture of FCC curriculum, watching videos, reading articles, social and hacking github example code. I have always been impressed with open source, what they have been able to achieve and what they stand for and I think FCC is another shining example of this. Thanks to Quincy, all the contributors and students who put in work to make this project great!

19 Likes

Who you are
Imex, 36

Why Youā€™re Learning To Code
So far this is more of a refresher. But Iā€™m hoping to get some practice and maybe learn a new thing or two along the way.

How Youā€™ve Been Learning to Code So Far
Over 18 years now, from just a hobby to a full time career. I started with sites like Sitepoint, W3 and others back in the day. My first site was on geocites. So ugly but it allowed me to learn and practice. I had a friend that suggested to me to skip FrontPage and try Homesite and learn to code in a text editor from the start. Iā€™m still learning every day and working on mastering more code bases.

Goolge, Stack Overflow., GitHub and Laracast are my go to sites right now.

15 Likes

Hi Campers! My name is Jessica, Iā€™m from Spain, but currently I live in Brooklyn, NYC. I have studied Education in the university and Iā€™ve never being interested in coding after now.

It was crazy! I was just checking a forum and it had a link to FreeCodeCamp. Iā€™ve started to read about coding and I decided to do this course. Now, Iā€™m completely enthusiastic about creating webpages. Itā€™s something amazing! I really love it.

So, letā€™s do it!

44 Likes

Who

ShawnMilo. Living in the US. Programming for 16+ years, professional developer.

Why

I love it. If I made my money by some other means, Iā€™d still be programming in my spare time because itā€™s a part of who I am.

How

Self-taught. Learned the hard way by writing lots of bad code for too many years, making all the mistakes you learn about later on. Spurred on by my love of the craft and desire to improve and write fantastic code.

Other

I love Go, and am a huge advocate. Iā€™m always looking to promote it and help others get started. Prior to that my last six years was mostly Python/Django at a startup, doing web applications.

27 Likes

Who you are
My name is Diego Mendonca. Iā€™m a 25 years old Argentinian Front-End developer. Iā€™ve been working on this since 17 years old, and I love it.

Why youā€™re learning to code
Since I love coding projects by myself, I always refused the idea of using frameworks such as bootstrap. But itā€™s no longer possible, because many clients requires it on them websites. And I found FCC very useful for learning this.

How youā€™ve been learning to code so far
Iā€™ve been lucky by working with people who helped me a lot on this at the beginning. Since then Iā€™ve been learning from forums, tutorials and a lot of practice.

10 Likes

Who: Iā€™m a graphic designer moved on into front-end development and coding.
Why: Working on graphic design for the web I start touching code, then generating and eventually I felt the need to get deep into it. And once you step in your interest grows as you realize the more you know seems to be just the tip of the iceberg, thereā€™s a whole world of solutions out there.
How: Iā€™ve learnt on the fly so far, getting stuck many times, quitting but coming back.

12 Likes

Hello!

My name is Alex and i am a computer science student. Not so long ago i developed an interest for web development and design so in my search for resources on the subject i found freecodecamp and im never looking back :slight_smile:

I just want to say thank you for the beautiful community we have here and keep up the good work.

9 Likes

who you are
Name is Ron

why youā€™re learning to code
Learning to program and develop a site seems interesting.

how youā€™ve been learning to code so far

After going through many online courses I read a blog about freecodecamp and started to go through the course. Until now it has been a fun journey. Now I am working on the Basic Algorithm exercises. It is nice to have a site that we can share knowledge and keep learning.

8 Likes

who you are ?

My name is Bastien VINH.

why youā€™re learning to code ?

Developer always learn. I come to freecodecamp not to learn coding but to refresh my basic.
And itā€™s seems easy and fun. I learn programming since High School and I love technologies. So I donā€™t mind learning.

how youā€™ve been learning to code so far ?

As developer, my journey never end. And I think there I still lacking. So I continue to learn.

9 Likes

Who?
Ahmed Nezar, 15 years old :smiley: . From Egypt.

Why?
My first aim to learn programmer, As a 12 years old child, I wanted to me a hacker.
After some reading. And some mis-understanding, I thought that I must learn HTML. So I started to know some basics about programming.

How?
First I learnt HTML step by step and I tried to try each thing Iā€™ve learnt. Then I started to learn css and javascript as same as HTML. Started to make some simple projects including all the languages Iā€™ve learnt. Each time I stuck in a function I want to do, I started to learn about it. So I knew many new things. Started to learn PHP and MySql. And I made a simple search engine for questions about our lessons in the school and their answers. Joined FreeCodeCamp to improve my skills through the Front End projects. And I made many new things that I didnā€™t know that I can do it :smiley: .

17 Likes

I am Danijel Demirovic. I am learning to code because I know I could earn good money with it. I been learning to code from my brother who is really good in that, and by internet. Its very interesting for me for now.

8 Likes

who you are ?

My name is Jason.

why youā€™re learning to code ?

I love the idea of code as a skill and craft that I can constantly improve at.

how youā€™ve been learning to code so far ?

Iā€™ve been learning to code for about 9 months now.

Very stoked to be part of this community!

12 Likes

Hi all, Jared here.

Iā€™m a Product / Tech Project Manager for a large corporation in Los Angeles.

Iā€™m learning to code so that I can gain better problem solving skills and better management skills when it comes to the developers I work with. Iā€™ve worked on the Product / Design side of things for a while and want to be able to both design AND create my ideas. This has been an interesting and fun outlet for me after work. Iā€™ve only been at it a few days but am really enjoying it!

Right now I am only learning to code through FreeCodeCamp and various online tutorials. My brother is also a developer so I talk through things with him as well.

12 Likes

who you are,
Hi. I am Drake Yang. from Korea.

why youā€™re learning to code,
Trying to change my career from warehouse to front-developer.

how youā€™ve been learning to code so far.
visit codecademy or this site, and got a book, like ā€œfor frontend developer,javascript programmingā€

8 Likes

Hi Folks!
I m Thiago Sposito from Brazil
Im game developer(student) and I am really interested in web tecnologies.
I had some programming classes at school, but web has beeing my main source of information since beginning.
Nice to meet u!

7 Likes

Hello everyone! My name is Logan. Iā€™m learning to code because I think that itā€™s fun, and Iā€™m interested in seeing how free code camp is built. So far Iā€™ve completed a course in computer programming with an emphasis on enterprise development.

5 Likes