What do coders build in these newer languages?

I coded in PHP and VB6 then took some time off. Then built websites in standard HTML and PHP for about 10 years solo. Now anyone can build websites with wordpress, wix etc

But what I am completely mystified about is actually what people are coding in this javascript/node/js/react etc area. Are they building huge websites? Are there any examples I can see? These are not websites for mom-and-pop small companies. Why would they need a team to build these things? Companies do not use these to build internal DB apps do they?

sky thanks for the response.

so it seems you are saying they are used for the super big companies. It seems they are not used for smaller companies. I do not know. Just trying to get info. See here in Cleveland I do not believe we have those kinds of companies.

Here it seems like C#/net is big. And Wordpress

Specific languages have specific uses. C# is for massive enterprise development on a Windows stack for example, Java is for massive enterprise development on the JVM, PHP is easy to get into and easy (initially) to deploy for CRUD stuff. Python is excellent for scripting and data analysis, Node is excellent for APIs and realtime things. Ruby has Rails and is therefore great for very small teams building [CRUD] web applications. VB is useful for writing Excel stuff, so business analysis. Functional languages are useful for financial/betting stuff among other things. COBOL etc for legacy finance/business. C for systems stuff. C++ for systems stuff and graphics stuff. ML/Lisp things for parsers, AI, research.

PHP was the only simple option (bar Perl/CGI scripts) for a very long time; it has a reputation for being an awfully designed, terrible language, but is simple to build things with. Its popularity, like most stuff, is partly accidental, it isn’t necessarily the best tool for a helluva lot of things. Node is well established, has a range of uses, is very well understood and there are a huge pool of JS devs, so companies will build stuff in it because it’s easy to build things and easy to hire devs. Again, kinda accidental, JS is not necessarily the best language, but Node is very good at what it does.

I just typed node developer into Indeed and got pages of results, and going through them they all ask for nodejs experience, so there are definitely multiple companies using the tech in Cleveland

1 Like

Dan, thanks for your well thought out response

1 Like

In reality, recruiters and hiring managers are looking for people who can fulfill about 75% of the stated requirements and are almost always wiling to accept less experience. Keep in mind that job postings aren’t always written by the technical managers, and the author may not even know what they’re asking for.

Still, it can definitely be hard to break in if you have no prior experience. This is where FreeCodeCamp comes in. The process is never easy, but with the right tools, you can make it easier.

1 Like

stick, thank for the response!

1 Like

We’ve all experienced that - the solution is get interviewed get hired. Getting an interview will be the hardest part - once you get an interview BE PREPARED as it’s your chance to get the job without qualifications.

Newer technologies come out all the time, different langs have different use cases. I’ve really enjoyed coding in Javascript and will likely use it for most of the things I code. The older languages will still be needed to maintain large amounts of legacy source code however newer software will use newer langs. I could build a web store with PHP/MySQL or I could use new technologies like node.js and mongodb. One thing node.js has a reputation for is it’s speed.

1 Like

Completing all of the certificates earns you the opportunity to work on full-stack projects for non-profits. Most campers don’t get to that point because they either give up or are hired before hand, but the projects are professionally managed and absolutely count as work experience.

Sure, the code camps are selling snake oil by and large. But re languages, you need to bear in mind it’s fairly irrelevant which language a person knows - if someone knows JS very well, they can transfer that knowledge to whatever language the company uses. Having a perfect fit gives an advantage for a few months, but after that they’re likely to be up to speed. The more languages (particulaly in different paradigms) a person knows, the more attractive they will likely be (JS + an OO language + SQL is a fairly useful combo, a functional language adds to that, then eg someone who knows a language like Haskell or Erlang iin addition s going attractive because it indicates things about the programmer)

Job posting are (if the recruitment person is not just copy pasting crap) just saying “ideally, it would be nice if a potential hire knows these things” - someone who knows loads of tech on the job posting laundry list will get an interview, sure, and will likely be first in line if they seem ok to work with, but that almost never happens (ie you take the main technology as the baseline - JS, PHP, whatever, if canidates have those skills, cool, if not go to something similar, hire from that, or if they have some interesting combo, interview).

TL/DR the job spec is just a nice to have, weeds out some potentially bad candidates (puts off some potentially good ones as well), the interview is just a business negotiation: can you make the company money/are you a useful reason to spend company money.