What do I need to learn if I want to work in cyber security?

So I’ve finally figured out long-term goals for what I want to do and where I want to end up in IT. It looks like more than likely I will be going to university this year and doing a bachelor in IT with the end goal of working in Cyber security.
Is there anything I should do study-wise or need to learn to work in cyber I could be doing between now and when I start the degree?

There are many different paths you can go down in cybersecurity so that might be the first thing to think about. Do you want to do offensive, defensive, malware analysis, etc.

That said in general I would learn:

1. Networking
  2. Have a good understanding of Operating Systems and System Administration
  3. Get really good at Linux
  4. PowerShell and Bash
  5. Probably a high level and low-level programing language. Python and C are good bets.

Certifications in general hold a lot of weight at the beginning so I might suggest looking at the Security+, a Networking certification, maybe the Network+ or better yet CCNA, and maybe a Linux certification such as Linux+

Get a few baseline certifications and the skills I listed above, and you should be good to land a job.

1 Like

Sorry, I completely forgot about this. Thanks, guys.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.