What kind of side projects can I do to compensate for my lack of industry experience?

Graduating next month with a BS in computer science. I’m looking for web development work. My last chance for an internship was this summer but the company ended up cancelling due to the outbreak.

So far my resume consists of 3 classroom coding projects and 1 personal project (super simple web scraper script). I’m currently working on making a full-stack recipe making web app and still have a long way to go.

I realize once I finish this, I probably still won’t have enough experience on my resume. What else can I do?

The ideas that interest me tend to be way out of my current abilities and will probably be more of a long term thing, but I am looking for work asap.

Hello and welcome to the FCC community~!

Personally, I have two kinds of projects. I have projects that I make just for fun, because I had inspiration and the opportunity to build what I saw in my mind. I also have projects for growth - these projects specifically push me to grow my skillset and knowledge, and each one pushes me further than the last.

You have ideas that are “way out of your current abilities” - why not start on them, at least? When you reach a point where you cannot continue, start researching: “How can I make a login system?”, “Use a Database with Node.js”, etc. You might find that this helps you move your learning in the right direction. :slight_smile:

Hi @BennettParkar,

You can also try to do freeCodeCamp projects.

These may help you to brush up on skills you already have and teach you things you did not yet know. You might even find cool ideas to implement into your own mini projects until you obtain the skills you need for your ideas that are currently out of your reach. :nerd_face:

Whichever way you decide to go, I hope it works out for you. :slight_smile: