What language do they use?

Hello,

I know this forum is for Free Code Camp and how to become a Web Developer, but I am just curious about this and wonder if anyone knows this here.

What languages do you use when creating computer applications like Microsoft Word and Paint? I know this sounds like a weird question for a group such as this, but right now I am trying to figure out how do computer programs work without the internet. I have a feeling that the answer is going to be something simple, since the computer program and the internet itself came before the internet browser, but I just can’t picture creating something without refreshing the page.

Thank you for your help,

According to some quick Googling, MS Word is mostly written in C++ and MS Paint is mostly written in C#.

2 Likes

Thanks @ArielLeslie,

I thought both of those languages ran off of an internet compiler. I think I will have to learn more about programming to understand how they do it, lol.

An “internet compiler” isn’t a term that makes sense. A compiler is a program that takes source code such as C++ or C# and turns it into an executable program. The Internet is a global network that runs using a relatively simple communication system called Internet Protocol. Compilers don’t enter into it.

If you want to know how the Internet was built, start reading here: https://tools.ietf.org/rfc/index (though it doesn’t start becoming the Internet we know until RFC760). Far as programming goes, you’re in the right place right here :slight_smile:

3 Likes