What should I do if I was dismissed from a job position that is not in the software development industry but I want to get in the software industry

I was recently dismissed from a job position unexpectedly without any explanation.

It doesn’t matter.

Find another job and focus your energy into becoming an amazing developer!

You are saying that it doesn’t matter that I was fired in a nonsoftware development job industry

What should I do if I was dismissed from a job position that is not in the software development industry but I want to get in the software industry

Apply for a job in the software industry.

Its very possible we don’t have the full picture. Like if you have 0 experience with anything in the software industry, you will need to learn new things before applying, but that wasn’t mentioned. Its also possible you have extra reservations, or concerns with how you were dismissed and its impact on applying for other jobs, which might be addressable, or might not be, but we don’t know that either.

Regardless, apply, and if you get rejected find out why. How you left your last job shouldn’t have much impact on the industry more than any other industry. :slight_smile:

I’m assuming he has none, in which case he’ll be busy enough learning to code anyway.

But I agree. We don’t really have the complete picture. My point was that the OP should just be positive and take charge of his situation.

Can you be more clear about what you are looking for advice on? If your afraid that having been fired from any job at any time will haunt you for the rest of your life, don’t worry about it.

2 Likes

So, yes it is very vague and advice will depend on your life situation (financially, how far along you are in practicing coding, do you eventually want a job in software development, etc.).

That said, I’ll throw out my 2 cents. If you lost a job that you held full time for at least A year in say, California or the USA in general, you may qualify for unemployment, which I believe pays up to $1800 a month (I could be WAAAAY off here. but stick with me…). Assuming everything I’ve said so far is true and goes smoothly, you have a $1800 a month income which may help tide you over while you study and apply to get a software job. If you do get unemployment, and have at least a few grand in the bank to sustain yourself, I’d say it is a great opportunity to go ham on your studies to change your career.

This is all also assuming you’ve studied software development for at least a short while and are at least mildly confident that you could continue to pursue this as a new career direction.

If you do/don’t get unemployment to help you, consider your financial situation - how long you could go without a job and sustain yourself financially, plus consider how disciplined you are when it comes to applying, interviewing, and studying to get a software dev job. Also consider where you live and how the job market is in your area for software devs.

If you ‘a lot’ of money but might need help staying focused on your studies, you may consider college or a boot camp to get you a jump start in the right direction.

You may consider looking for part time and/or full time jobs in your area if you think you would have more peace of mind financially while you look for that software dev job. This will depend a lot on if you get unemployment assistance. If you do, I’d say if at all possible, spend 100% of your time coding and applying. Do the usual things that will help increase your skill level, and spend as many hours a day either applying or coding as your schedule and discipline will allow.

If you however find yourself unable to study more than say, 3 hours a day, you may consider getting another job because it’ll take you a while at that pace (though, you will eventually get there if you keep studying at least). Or, do like me and go to a bootcamp (I got a loan…it was ~18k + living costs of about $1100 a month mostly food + rent). Just remember to allow yourself AT LEAST 6 months after bootcamp (safer to give yourself a full year) after bootcamp to land that job. Most bootcamp grads from a reputable bootcamp will land a job within a year, often under 6 months, but it is a long and tiring process for most where you will continuously apply and study.

So yeah, TLDR assess where you are in your coding journey, that you can see yourself continuing to pursue it, your financial situation, and your options, and sleep on it, and make a well planned, informed, realistic decision. Adjust as you proceed with your plan.

Good luck!

1 Like

Seconding Ariel. Don’t worry about it. Just keep coding and practicing and keep in mind that the first in is often the hardest.

1 Like

If you’re in the USA, you needn’t worry about a bad reference. Most employers will only confirm the dates you worked there and nothing else, as they’re too scared of legal exposure for offering a bad reference. Most of the time they never bother to check anyway.