What should I focus on learning to get into (preferably PC) game development?

Currently, I have zero experience in all professional stuff, but I’d really appreciate if someone could lay things out for me if they can! I’m not particularly looking for the highest payment, but the idea of actually making PC games is what gives me that good feeling in my gut to get there and accomplish something.

Also, don’t know if it’s going to be a problem or something to consider, but I’m not a native English speaker, and I’m currently living in the part of Eastern Europe that isn’t a EU member.

Should I try to wing it and do my best on my own at my personal project and learn things that way, and try to make it a part of my portfolio, or should I look for any opportunities on any platforms?

What should I do? Where do I start? What courses should I pick on freeCodeCamp and what else do I need to learn?

A lot depends on your current level of expertise. If you have no experience coding, go through the freeCodeCamp curriculum from start to finish. You’ll be exposed to a lot of different technologies that will be very useful in the professional world.

If you do have experience and are competent at writing software, the best way to learn is to just try and make some games yourself, even if they’re simple at first. Showing that you know how to work with engines and can make a good product is a great sign that you’re hire-ready.

Also, look for job postings at game development companies and see what kind of expertise they’re looking for. If you meet all the qualifications, you should have a pretty good shot at finding work with them. If you don’t, then you have a list of skills to learn right there in front of you.

Good luck!

1 Like

The advice I’ve seen repeated in many different forms is just make some games and release them. So, make 10 games, release them on itch dot io

Releasing is important because you need to complete.

There are a vast amount of game engines, just pick one, you can change to a different one later. Pick a one with a load of tutorials. Bar that doesn’t really matter which one.

After making a few you will have a far better idea of where you stand.

Anything else and you’ll just end up procrastinating.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.