What was your most memorable coding moment in 2016?

(function fcc_2016(camper) {
   return camper[mostMemorableMoment];
})(bonham000);

// building the Dungeon Crawler Game

What about everyone else?

7 Likes

My most memorable coding moment in 2016 was deciding I wanted to learn how to code.

I started off with python and have done some challenges in checkio. I really enjoyed doing these algorithm puzzles and I am looking forward to doing some from FCC in Javascript.

6 Likes

My first real pull request.

I spotted a bug in a little Ubuntu tool I wanted to use, sonI fixed it :slight_smile:

Happy New Year Sean and everyone else!

7 Likes

I’d say kind of now, when you realize that instead of partying like mad you’re actually “working” (in my case it’s the Pomodoro clock and it’s working !!!) and thoroughly enjoying it.

A bit tipsy though.

Happy New Year and best wishes to everyone. Oh, more than tipsy coz…I love you !!!

7 Likes

When I discovered Free Code Camp!

14 Likes

Helping my son figure out a Java programming assignment for school. Everything else coding related in 2016 sprung from the moment I clicked run in Netbeans and saw that all of the vector operations returned the expected answers.
That’s how I got pushed down the rabbit hole…

4 Likes

For me it was moving from the html/css projects to the JS algorithms. It gave me the feeling of “oh yes, this is the part I like…”

A close second though is being stuck on the exact change algorithm and feeling like punching my computer in the face, with an automobile.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

My most memorable moment was deciding to study software engineering, I’ll be in 2nd year on 2017 :slight_smile:

Most memorable was finally putting up my first html project for people to criticize (I was nervous about that - I did almost all the algorithms before even starting the projects). I finished the front end a few days ago.
Goal for next year: money!

I think my most memorable moment this year was related both to writing and using the software.

I own/run a photography studio for which I am the also the programmer (self-study - just like everyone here). We photograph major volleyball tournaments around the country - upwards of 70 - 100+ courts in one convention center.

First was implementing a tool which uses the BroadcastChannel api, which is not particularly widely known (at the time only Firefox supported it). It allows two browser windows to communicate/message between each other, so long as they are on the same domain. They can also share data back and forth. I used this to implement a module which worked in conjunction with my photographer scheduler module.

I had already written a module to show a list of all unassigned photography requests and drag and drop those to photographers. I could then print the schedules and give them to photographers so that they knew where and who they were to photograph. This was very convenient, but it was a challenge to keep a photographer in a particular area so that they don’t waste time walking/running all over the place. (The courts are not always arranged so that the numbering is consecutive and it’s time consuming to have to keep looking to see … is this court close to that one?)

So I wrote a new module that let me build maps of the event we were photographing. Then using BroadcastChannel, I could have a browser window on each monitor - one for requests/signups and one with the map. When I hovered over a request on one monitor, it highlighted the court on the other. Additionally, as I assign requests to a photographer, the court for that assignment would be color coded to that photographer (with color stripes if more than one photographer were assigned). This way I could better keep the photographer to a particular area and we could be much more efficient.

The second part of this was working out how to use cURL and the twilio API to allow for sending and receiving of text messages from the software and the photographers. A simple text message would notify the database of where the photographer was presently (a court, the booth, taking a break, etc.) When this message was received, the map automatically updates to indicate their location.

Photographers can also text in codes/requests for items they need - memory cards, envelopes, pens, food, water, coffee, etc.

There’s more to it all … but seeing that in action at our first really large tournament of the year, watching the map update and all that was really quite a thrill! It’s something we’d been talking about doing for years, but there was always something high in priority.

I don’t know of any other system like this for photographers - so far as I know, unique to us!

That was a fun tool to write. :slight_smile:

My first full-stack app (MERN)
https://votez-app.herokuapp.com/
Not exactly the most robust app, but it was neat combining front and back end :slight_smile:

1 Like

Every time the code worked! Whether it took minutes or weeks, each time was exciting.

1 Like