What's on your plate at the moment?

Interesting topics. Here is mine:

Now:
A small project in Python (created a repos in Github, gives me also some practice with the github repos system
About to start the object oriented programming part of Java Script
Reading Head First into H5 and watching video about Jquery and H5
Study Adwords Certification

Soon
Finish the Udacity python course (last two units to do: build your own search engine and social media)
Fairly long term:
Create a full website (about 10 pages) for further improving my work-related skills (digital marketing)

As mentioned earlier there is so much to do that the main issue is to focus.
I try to do just that.
I found that when I hit a wall and decide to move away from the project and focus on studies for a while it helps usually to overcome the issue or learn new technology that would help

3 Likes

Currently:

• Following P1xtā€™s Web Development with Computer Science Foundations guide.
  • Doing edXā€™s CS50 course, as per the guide mentioned above.

Upcoming:

• Continue the You Donā€™t Know JS book series, and finish the remaining 3 books.
  • Hoping to take a breather from the guide once I finish the first tier and do one of the FCC front end projects.

Future plans:

• Ultimately, start looking for a job when I feel Iā€™m ready.
  • Continue to improve my knowledge even when I find a job.
  • Learn video game development, but thatā€™s for the distant future really.
5 Likes

I am with you on the video game :smiley:

Currently:
-working through the game dev guide that @P1xt put here (I am doing CS50 pset4)

Future:
-start looking for a job in AAA studio.
-work on a game that I would like to play (may be a game full of bloody scenes I donā€™t know why but I love the game that has a lot of blood going out of the dead bodies :smile:.

1 Like

Iā€™m currently working on the hack reactor prep challenges. A quick Google will bring it up. Itā€™s free and a great way to practice javascript.

PS: I recommend doing this after you complete most of the Javascript stuff in FCC. Youā€™ll need the knowledge!

2 Likes

Reading Professor Frisbyā€™s Mostly Adequate Guide to Functional Programming for javascript and youtubing functional programming in JS like this and some lambda calculus stuff.

2 Likes

Currently:

• Starting YDKJS Book 1.
  • Slowly easing into FCCā€™s JS Object Oriented Programming challenges. Not touching the actual algorithm challenges until I feel a bit more comfortable with the basic concepts (conditionals and loops to be precise).

Upcoming:

• 2 personal projects similar to tribute page (more HTML/CSS practice).
  • Update portfolio site (after becoming half decent with JS).
  • Use Codewars for JS practice supplement.
  • Pro Bono contact page for a friendā€™s design business.
1 Like

Current:
Working through two Udemy courses.
Just finished YDKJS Book 4, working slowly on 5.

Upcoming:
Building practice websites utilizing HTML/CSS and Bootstrap
JS coding practice problems
Reading Allonge after YDJS

2 Likes

Currently

JavaScript course on codecademy
FCC a little stuck on local weather app, so trying to improve my JavaScript ability.
Also started the YDJS books

Next

Finish FCC
Find a dev job

1 Like

Awesome book, Iā€™m really loving it too!

For me itā€™s:
Now:
Developing a 2d game ā€œengineā€. ( Not sure it counts as an engine maybe boilerplate at this point) Decided to make it using es6 module design, to get a good understanding of it.
Working on Nightlife coordination app. This is about 80% done but itā€™s on the back burner for now, as I was quickly getting burnt on of these backend app projects.
Getting ready to start working with cohorts.

Future:
Lots of time working with cohorts.
Finish backend projects.
Deploy my first 2d game.
Completely redo my portfolio.
And of course find a job :slight_smile:

1 Like

Somewhat confusing though if you are just starting outā€¦ Its starting to make more sense now that I have completed the api projects and am getting into the voting app. Did you try out the React projects? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If you donā€™t try now, you will never feel that you are ready to take on a job. That is one problem almost everyone faces in the tech industry, Imposter Syndrome.

Now:

Upcoming:

• Chingu Cohort. Go Belugas!
  • Read Git on the Server
  • Set up git on a Raspberry Pi at home
2 Likes

Currently following along, building a MEAN (Angular 2) authentication app, with this playlist. I can recommend everybody to have a look at this guyā€™s channel.

I am also trying Vue.js which doesnā€™t need several seconds to compile on every tiny change (Angularā€¦), and doing the ā€œComplete Node.js Developer Courseā€ on Udemy.

I still have a lot of unwatched Codeschool videos and college takes a lot of time as well.

4 Likes

I have an Obamacare plate:

• Finishing second semester of Junior year in high school
  • Piano and trumpet recital pieces coming up
  • Building Voting App
  • Learning React with Stephen Girderā€™s Udemy courses
  • Improving Node knowledge with several in-depth books
  • Learning SQL and Mongo better
  • Learning user authentication
  • Several side projects
  • Portfolio and older projects that need updated
  • Resume needs to be finished
  • I need to get a job soon
  • And lots and lots moreā€¦ :expressionless:
4 Likes

Currently:

• Should be doing some homework for Systems analysis and design; role play as a systems analyst.
  • some journals and discussions on Security management
  • participating in my cohort
  • planting community seeds at my college

Future:

• redesign personal site
  • continue FCC
  • contribute more to FCC
  • maintain focus on value, honesty, and clarity
  • work + (get paid in my sleep)

Hereā€™s to everyone achieving what they set out to do!

2 Likes

Currently:

• React, baby! except,
  • ā€¦ I realized I didnā€™t have a firm grasp on how to use arrow functions. So back to ES6 brushup, like, againnnnnā€¦

Things Iā€™m aware that I need to do soon:

• Put the ES6, Sass, and JS best-practices stuff Iā€™ve been learning into practice by refactoring some past projects
  • Learn git and start doing projects on github instead of codepen. Like, seriously. I know this is a big deal and lecture others on it. Geez!
  • Yeah yeah, React is great and all, but I canā€™t wait to get some back end. People tell me I should get into Ruby (though I donā€™t see it emphasized in curricula. But I do see it in job listings), and it seems like PHP would be so useful to know. Iā€™d like to give apps an actual user and login etc. system instead of faking it with localstorage.

What I really do:

• Everything besides code. Make dinner. Pick my kids up from school. Work the day job(s). Watch Murdoch Mysteries. Complain that Iā€™m not progressing fast enough.
4 Likes

I like that last part where you describe what you actually do. :smiley:

1 Like

Working on the HTMLā€¦ Learning a lot, but sorta wish I had a book to go along with it. So far, so good. Lots of resources. Slow and steady wins the race, right? Also doing an HTML class on Udemy with Todd McLeodā€¦

1 Like