Whats with the "Basic Node and Express" intro?

So this is pretty confusing to me in general, I decided to jump into the node section and it just seems like the questions are too obscurely built.
For example,
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/apis-and-microservices/basic-node-and-express/meet-the-node-console

So even with my team lead, this took us a while to figure out how to actually get the challenge to complete, At first, it seemed like it wanted the console URL to be pasted for solution complete. That didn’t work.

We tried manually printing the console.log in the glitch console, then pasting. No dice.

I was about to give up when I just decided to play with glitch and checked the “show Live” at the top and realized maybe it wants that instance. console.log(‘Hello World’); was not printed to console on that live version. Page source is empty but that link completed the solution?

Also the “Ask for help” Button does nothing, its a styled button but with no href or any actionable attributes.
I think for someone new coming in, this is going to be frustrating as its very unclear what you’re supposed to do.

Is this something I can hop on github and do some work on to improve so new users going through can make better sense of it?

1 Like

At one point during beta testing, there were explicit instructions telling you what link you would need to provide for the lessons and I think that each lesson also had a brief reminder to use your public/live link. This is definitely something that you can contribute to FCC.

Seems like quite a bit was left out.
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/apis-and-microservices/basic-node-and-express/start-a-working-express-server
Like this, the example function isn’t named, so it’ll throw an error. I mean if we’re trying to educate users on bug hunting and Search/ask then maybe that’s cool but I don’t think that’s the focus of FCC. This new redesign seems strange

2 Likes

GitHub Issues

Whenever reporting a bug, please check first that there isn’t already an issue for it and provide as much detail as possible.

I was about to ask about that. I’ll take note of issues and see if I can contribute solutions. Thanks for the link!

totally agree. Just when i was marvelling at how nicely they took us through npm package management and package.json … it appears that whoever created this section did not spend time understand how systematic and well structured FCC is. This section was written by someone experienced who has forgotten what its like to start with no background! sort of defeats the purpose of FCC!

1 Like

have added my second ever github issue (so apologies if i’ve broken some protocols!).

Issue number #17754 at https://github.com/freeCodeCamp/freeCodeCamp/issues/17754
I’ve tried to express the difficulty in following.

1 Like

One of the things that got me was that I didn’t realize that you need a new Glitch template for this section. I tried to solve it with my template from the first section and there was no myApp.js for my Hello World to go in. Make sure to get the correct link from the first page of the new section