What's you job and what's your degree?

Hello everyone
To start i’m french and I’m sorry about my English level :smiley:
I want to ask you about my futur.
Last year I missed my first year graduate in computer science because it really wasn’t interesting, I spent more time on math and physics than on programming.
That’s why I decided to stop classes and study via internet.
This year I want to speak fluent English and finish FFC.
But in France it’s very frowned upon to not have of graduate.
I would like to know what is most important for finding work, my diploma or my portfolio ?
To help me, tell me what is your graduates and what is your job ?

Thank you for your help :smiley:

To answer your question, I’m a Software Engineer and my degree is in Computer Science.

If you enjoyed your math and physics coursework more than your programming, then why not pursue that? If you pursue a degree in math or physics, programming would still be extremely useful. I know many programmers who studied math, physics, or engineering and I’m married to a mathematician who writes code for physics modeling on supercomputers.

I don’t know anything about the job market in France, but in the United States having a degree in any STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) field is a significant advantage.

It will probably be harder finding a job without a diploma, but it isn’t so significant of an obstacle you cannot overcome. My degree is in biology, but I am a software developer.

Some of us can only speak from a USA centric perspective, and it is easier if you have diploma here. If nothing else it check off a box that automated process probably use to filter candidates.

The truth for finding work, perhaps neither are as important as actual experience, but you don’t always have experience so those are your second best options. They are not mutually exclusive mind you, a motivated and capable individual can have both a good portfolio and a degree.

I am not sure what you find boring in your first year coursework, Math and Physics or Programming. Either way, I am not totally sure entire stopping is as beneficial as you think. While traditional course work can be slow and tedious, it does lay down foundations a lot of nontraditional programmer lack and sometimes it could become an obstacle in career advancement, especially if you have interest in computational heavy fields where math and computer theories are critical.

This is where you as a person becomes a very important factor. Can you study on your own without the pressure of grades, project deadlines, study peers, and reliable educators and accomplish as much if not more as you do in school? Some people can, and some people cannot, so you have to honestly evaluate yourself to really know if self-learning is a better path.

If you have a really good portfolio showcasing some of the best projects you’ve been able to build. I believe this can land you an entry programming job. But you really have to know the programming languages you use. Take time to find your passions in life. Don’t listen to others :slight_smile: