When does a project get checked off in the cirriculum?

Hi All,
I passed all the tests and covered all the user stories for the survey project but it’s not checked off. Do staff need to review it before it gets checked off? Or will it stay unchecked until I claim the certificate?

Thank you much!

Did you receive the popup window saying it was completed?
There should be a button to submit and continue

On my end, I see this popup window

And then it is showing as checked in the courses

You can try resubmitting it and seeing if it goes through this time

I did not see a popup window and I made sure to remove my pop blocker from this site.

Well, the site is having some issues.
So that might be it.

Do you want share all of your code and I can test it on my end?

sure thing - for the sake of time I did not use any CSS as I would like to take the “speed” route in order to see if this is something I want to do. I am looking at SWE positions at my employer and all are full stack so my goal is to get through the content and certification ASAP and then use Leetcode to prepare for interviews.
Not the most respectable thing to do but I’m on the wrong side of 30 and time is not on my side :slight_smile:

<!DOCTYPE html>
 <html>
  <head>
   <title>Ben's Survey</title>
   <link rel="stylesheet" href="styles.css">
   <h1 id="title">Ben's Survey Form</h1>  
  </head>
  <body>
   <p id="description">This is a survey to gather data</p>
   <form id="survey-form">
     <label id="name-label">Please enter your full name: <input id="name" type="text" placeholder="First Name Last Name" required></label>
     <label id="email-label">Please enter your email address: <input id="email" type="email" placeholder="johndoe@abc.com" required>
     <label id="number-label">Please enter a number from 1 - 10: <input id="number" placeholder="1,2,3, etc." type="number" min="1" max="10"></label>
     <label>Do you prefer cats or dogs?: <select id="dropdown">
       <option value="">(select one)</option>
       <option value="1">Cats</option>
       <option value="2">Dogs</option>
       </select>
     </label>
     <label>Do you have any pets?
       <input type="radio" value="1" name="pets">Yes</input>
       <input type="radio" value="2" name="pets">No</input>
     </label>
     <label>What pets do you have?
       <input type="checkbox" value="dog">Dog(s)</input>
       <input type="checkbox" value="cat">Cat(s)</input>
       <input type="checkbox" value="fish">Fish</input>
       <input type="checkbox" value="other">Other</input>
       <input type="checkbox" value="none">I don't have any pets</inputs>
     </label>
        <label>If you selected Other, please specify what animal you have:  <textarea placeholder="Enter your animal(s) here"></textarea>
        </label>
     <input type="submit" id="submit">
   </form>
  </body>
 </html>

Its passing on my end

Maybe its your browser?

I am using chrome without extensions and it is passing for me

I am using chrome as well and have disabled all extensions for FCC
I just see the following in the console:

I am seeing the same on Edge

now it worked on Edge - not sure why it took so long

#firstworldproblems

If you open up the chrome console are you seeing any error messages?

Glad it is working now.
Maybe it was effected by the outage issues fcc has been having today

1 Like

Thank you for bearing with me! :slight_smile:

I guess I will be using Edge from now on

1 Like

I think that it’s worth noting that having good projects that demonstrate your competence is as important or arguably more important than the certificates. Having a certificate with rushed projects doesn’t inspire confidence in your skills.

I’d also be careful about putting too much significance on Leetcode and similar sites. Those sites often focus on gymmic problems instead of skills needed to be successful when doing professional work. Successfully building, extending, and refactoring a large project is much more representative of the professional skills you need. Tragically, some companies use gymmic problems in their screening process, but there are plenty of companies that don’t.

1 Like

I agree 100% about the competence piece.
Once I finish the certificates my goal would be to make sure my portfolio projects are in tip-top shape before including it in applications. I will then post everything on github as well. I’m trying to beef up my LinkedIn profile as much as I can so I show up in more recruiter searches. Are there other places you recommend I go to build projects? I feel like all the projects in FCC collectively make a pretty robust portfolio.

Also agree on Leetcode. However, the unfortunate truth is that the companies I want to work for (big tech, especially Apple) all use them in some fashion. I’ll need to do the “song and dance” needed to get the job, even if that means doing gymmic problems that aren’t representative of real-world issues.

The tricky part with the certification projects is that they are small. You really want to be able to talk about the skills for a larger project where you revised your code multiple times. You learn a ton by writing code and then coming back to it in a month to expand or edit it.

Gotcha - I’ll take your word for it :slight_smile:

Where would you suggest I find larger projects to work on?
I feel like it would be more beneficial to help folks on Github or maybe do pro-bono work on a freelance site rather than just creating something for myself. I could create a personal website but I feel like everyone does that.

You can always help freeCodeCamp, they are hosted on GitHub. Most open source projects don’t really have the bandwidth to teach someone the ropes, so this is an area where freeCodeCamp is a good place to learn how to work on bigger projects.

Working on somebody else’s large open source project definitely teaches you a lot, though there is a special angle to the learning that you get when it is your own old code that you can revisit and see weaknesses or areas for more growth. Pros and cons to both.

For project ideas, honestly I’d just Google lists of full stack projects until one sounds cool to you.

It’s very sad some youtube videos, articles or whatever is giving me a wrong exaggerated representation of what it’s like going for interviews. That path was almost going to be my plan but I’m glad I read this. Thanks, Jeremy!

Interview styles totally depend upon the company. The big FAANG and similar companies tend to use weed out/algorithms/gymmic/whatever type questions like what you find on Leetcode. Other companies use questions that line up more with their codebase and needs. It’s a mix.

1 Like

If you go on the blind app most people say “grind leetcode” but before that we actually need to understand what we are learning. Leetcode does have resources for system design and other stuff, but the selling point is the practice questions.
It’s essentially a way to “game” the system.

Unfortunately since big tech usually pays the most they can get away with these tactics. I, for one, would love to work on the team this is creating the OS for the Apple Car

1 Like