Where did you first start

Hi All,

I am new here, new to coding and just started with freecodecamp which i enjoy and cant get enough of it. But what I want to know is what was your first project and how did you know what you wanted to do and where to start.? (big or small) I look at some projects on codepen and think wow if only I could get there but how do you know if you are ready or how do you know when you ready…
Hope this makes sense and my question comes across correctly in the way I am trying to explain it.
Thanks all

I started with Game Development, having no previous experience of coding. From there I decided that I liked it and took a college course in Software Development.

The most important thing when starting out is practice. Pick a subject area that interests you and practice it. YouTube can be a great resource for beginner developers, as can the plethora of tutorial sites online.

Another thing you can do in the short term is build a basic website and when you learn new things in FCC, add that into the site you’re building. This can be a great way to reinforce what you are learning.

Also, read other peoples code as often as possible. I regularly spend time combing through Github looking for interesting repositories to see how people accomplish various tasks in the languages I am interested in.

Don’t be afraid to fail either. If you start a personal project and realize you are out of your depth, or that there are some other technologies that you should learn first, then go prepare and then come back.

Good Luck!

1 Like

Thanks so much for the reply. I will defiantly take what you said on board. I think that’s the one thing i am afraid of is to fail but if you don’t fail you will never learn.

I am new to coding as well, and originally started by picking up a book on HTML, CSS, and Javascript. Then I happened on FCC and jumped into the lessons here. I have been working my way through for the past month and am now in the Intermediate Algorithm Scripting.

I am not 100% happy with my earliest projects in FCC, but I understood the concepts and learned how to execute them. I plan to go back and either create new pages or go back and fix the ones I made as I progress.

I am not the creative type, I am mostly here to learn to code and eventually get a job. So using the projects and challenges here really works for me to continue to learn the concepts. I am now starting to reach out and look for pair programming opps and to start working with others for feedback and learning.

You just have to start, and then take it step by step!

1 Like

Once you get through the early stages of the curriculum you’ll start to work on projects suggested by FCC. Just work through those and you’ll have plenty of projects to keep you going.

I remember when I finished the Portfolio project and I looked ahead at people’s Tic-Tac-Toe and Simon games and I though it would be pretty unlikely that I’d be able to do them myself! A month later I was all finished with them :slight_smile:

Just keep on learning and you’ll be fine. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need on the forum - that’s what we’re here for :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the reply… I will keep at it and gain more confidence… Just happy I am not the only one out there that feels or has felt the same way as me.