Where do I belong, undefined

Tell us what’s happening:
I’m getting the correct answer on the console but its isnt passing… I just noticed the [] test at the bottom to which my code returns “undefined”. Could this be negating the correct answers at the top?

Your code so far

function getIndexToIns(arr, num) {
var answer;
arr.sort(function(a, b) {
   return a - b});
for (var i = 0; i <arr.length; i++) {
if (num > arr[i]) {
answer = [i+1]}

}console.log(answer);
}

getIndexToIns([40, 60], 50);

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; ) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/83.0.4103.97 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Where do I Belong

Link to the challenge:

You are not explicitly returning a value from your function, so by default JavaScript returns undefined. Currently, you are just console.logging answer.

Also, even if you return answer, you are returning an array with one element instead of a numerical value (which is expected).

I’m doing the console.log because when I return, it marks all results as fails. The only "undefined " result is on the empty array at the VERY bottom. I left “c.log” in my post to illustrate how I am verifying the output. Can you tell me why the getIndexToIns([40, 60], 50); returns [1] as required and getIndexToIns([10, 20, 30, 40, 50], 35); yields a [ 3 ] as required but fails this part of the test? I had written a line before I asked for help that went something like else if (arr = []) {answer = 0;} or else (arr ! = truthy). still all fails…just now i reset the code and passed half of them. The above code returns the right answer and gets all X’s. Its interesting, right?

Did you read this bit?
[1] is not the same as 1, likewise [3] is not the same as 3.

crap! Ok…okay. Let me ponder this…thankyou