Where should I go from here?

Formerly a LAMP stack web developer specializing in WordPress. Lately I have been leaning heavily into learning iOS and Swift and I love it so far.

But, I still need a website and I wanted to start working with the latest toys. Looks like React is the one everyone is using now so I just went through the JavaScript course here at FCC, to give myself a refresher so to have it all fresh in my mind when I jump into React.

But, I just went to the course page for Front End Development Libraries and I was met with Bootstrap.

Meh, Bootstrap. Also, I wasn’t that thrilled with the content in the JavaScript course. It really needs more fleshing out or something. I had to do a lot of searching and reading on my own. Maybe that’s intended since that’s the job, mostly. :wink:

But, there are like a bazillion other tutorials and courses out there on building with React. What do you guys suggest I do next?

*I’m not trying to get a job as a React developer or anything. But, I’d like to understand it well enough to use it to build whatever I want into my website, kind of like I used to do with WordPress.

1 Like

Yeah, but sometimes you work at places that use “meh” libraries. That’s just the way it is. And BS is easy to use and makes a decent looking web site so people aren’t freaking out over CSS.

Also, I wasn’t that thrilled with the content in the JavaScript course. It really needs more fleshing out or something.

Yeah, it doesn’t do a lot of hand holding. I think FCC is concerned about the danger of drowning people with information so they keep it light and quick. Remember that FCCs main audience is people without a lot of coding experience who are just checking it out.

Maybe it will get fleshed out in the future - it’s a matter of manhours and priorities.

I had to do a lot of searching and reading on my own. Maybe that’s intended since that’s the job, mostly.

Yeah, it’s probably a happy accident, but yeah, a lot of googling…

But, there are like a bazillion other tutorials and courses out there on building with React. What do you guys suggest I do next?

I learned before FCC had a React section. I watched some Brad Traversy videos. Also the React documentation is really, really good.

Personally, if I was doing it again, I’d do the FCC React section, then just start hitting up youtube and coding along with some build videos. I think you kind of need to learn by building. That, and read the documentation.

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. I don’t know what I was talking about. I must have been tired.

The FCC courses are wonderful. They’re perfect as refresher courses. And, I learned a few new things too. Just had to go teach myself, or get taught elsewhere. But, that’s okay.

I was just so excited to finally get into React. To be slapped with over 30 sections on Bootstrap and then more on jQuery and SASS first…

But, okay. It’s probably time to refresh my knowledge on all of that too. I also ended up getting a couple Udemy courses. One on React and one specifically on the ES6 methods. I may never loop again, ha, kidding… or am I? :wink:

Well, we still do occasionally, but usually a method is better.