Where to begin at?

Tell us what’s happening:

Where do I start the project? I’m really not sure where to go to begin the build.

Your code so far

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 9) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/87.0.4280.101 Mobile DuckDuckGo/5 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Build a Tribute Page

Link to the challenge:

Hi @parkerjmartin,

You should build it from scratch. You can use something like CodePen or just create it and store it in a git repo on github and serve it using github pages. It’s up to you. Is this your first time building out a project from scratch?

Start with a stripped down, simplified version. Add features incrimentally.

1 Like

Yes. This is my first time building from scratch. Just a little lost on where to begin.

1 Like

Okay, for your first time you may just want to use something like CodePen.

The lesson links to a CodePen project to reference to get a sense of the site functionality. Take a look at that, but don’t copy it. Then I would suggest creating a CodePen account (if you don’t already have one) and start a new Pen. Then just start implementing code to satisfy the user stories listed.

For exampe, the first user story is:
User Story #1: My tribute page should have an element with a corresponding id="main", which contains all other elements.
So go ahead and, in the HTML pane of the Pen, create your element that will contain the other elements on the page and give it the id of main.

Then move on to implementing code to satisfy the second user story, and so on until all user stories are complete and you’re passing all tests.

You don’t have to worry about styling up front, in fact that is the way I would recommend. Focus on the HTML structure first and get all the “bones” and content in place to pass the tests. Once you’re passing all tests you can begin adding styling and additional elements if needed. And you can run the tests after each change if needed to make sure you haven’t broken anything.

You got this!

Ok. Thanks. I appreciate the clarity and time. Also the tests, “red lights and green lights”. Where do I run the tests at. Are they on the codepen site, or do I have to submit them first?
Sorry I’m just more of a hands on kinda learner. But ounce I get it I got it for good.

I forgot to mention that the actual easiest way to start is to use the link near the bottom of the project description where it says " You can build your project by forking this CodePen pen."

When you do that you’ll essentially have a barebones project ready to go, with the freeCodeCamp test script already included for you at the top of the HTML section and some comments with further instructions.

The script it includes inserts a test menu located in the upper right corner of the page. You just select the test set you want to run, in this case “Tribute Page” then you can click Run Tests to execute the tests against your project and use the Tests button to expand the results to see what tests were run.

Ok. Very detailed. I really appreciate your time. Thanks again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.