Wherefore art thou - failing test-cases in FCC environment but not in Chrome console

In order to be able to use console.log() to debug, I used Atom + Chrome’s console. The first 2 testcases seem to be passing in Chrome’s console:

whatIsInAName([{ first: "Romeo", last: "Montague" }, { first: "Mercutio", last: null }, { first: "Tybalt", last: "Capulet" }], { last: "Capulet" }) should return [{ first: "Tybalt", last: "Capulet" }] .

whatIsInAName([{ "apple": 1 }, { "apple": 1 }, { "apple": 1, "bat": 2 }], { "apple": 1 }) should return [{ "apple": 1 }, { "apple": 1 }, { "apple": 1, "bat": 2 }]

But they are both failing in FCC. If anyone can shed light on what I am doing wrong, I would appreciate it. (I am also failing the remaining testcases but I that makes more sense b/c I have not yet accounted for a source that has multiple properties. I would like to sort out the first 2 test-cases before moving on).

This is my code:

function whatIsInAName(collection, source) {
  // What's in a name?
  var arr = [];
  // Only change code below this line

const sourceprop = Object.getOwnPropertyNames(source);

// console.log(sourceprop);

const sourceval = source[sourceprop];

// (console.log(sourceval);)

const result = collection.filter(each => each[sourceprop] === sourceval)

arr.push(result);

// Only change code above this line
  return arr;
}
whatIsInAName([{ first: "Romeo", last: "Montague" }, { first: "Mercutio", last: null }, { first: "Tybalt", last: "Capulet" }], { last: "Capulet" });

Thank you!

Link to the challenge:
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/intermediate-algorithm-scripting/wherefore-art-thou/

Hi @sabbyiqbal, I’m noticing that you are pushing the result into arr. This would leave you with a nested array, ex:

[ [{ first: "Tybalt", last: "Capulet" }] ]

To get the first two tests working, you can eliminate the arr.push(result) and instead assign the value to arr:

arr = collection.filter(each =>  each[sourceprop] === sourceval);
1 Like