Whither nonprofits?

Whither nonprofits?

Everywhere I look on FCC, from gitter to forums to Medium, it’s career, jobs, interviews, more career, more job talk. It feels like LinkedIn For Learners. Which isn’t itself bad, but:

I joined because I wanted to help nonprofits whose mission I believe in. Which yes, is a kind of career, but I think the difference in focus is obvious. FCC mentions nonprofits on The Homepage You’ll Never See Again, but from there on the culture is entirely career-driven, there’s nothing in the overall community that seems relevant to community, activism, volunteering, that sort of thing.

I brought this up to a FCC team member (who I won’t implicate here), and was told that the nonprofits under FCC’s aegis quite sensibly don’t want to be flooded with well-meaning but clueless newbies creating more work for them, so projects for them are reserved for graduates. I totally get that, but I wonder if there isn’t a way to get people involved in the nonprofit community earlier, make that mission more relevant, appealing, and just plain visible?

Or has FCC’s focus shifted solely to career development while I wasn’t looking?

If you want to put your skills to use try volunteer work. Here are a few sites you might like:

Catchafire

Skills for Change

Everywhere I look on FCC, from gitter to forums to Medium, it’s career, jobs, interviews, more career, more job talk. It feels like LinkedIn For Learners. Which isn’t itself bad, but:

We do not restrict what our members can talk about within forums, medium, or gitter. Therefore, if the community is talking more about jobs, interviews, etc - then that is what interests them and just because there is a lot of talk about those categories within our forum and coommunity, you should not let it portray what FCC mission is. It’s simply what others are interested in and talking about. I think when you first start FCC they let you know what they are about, which is learning to code, gatherings, working together, coding for non profits, excelling in your career with new coding schools, getting a career codding, etc.

As for getting people involved in non-profit contributing "sooner, in my opinion, is not a good idea. The Non-profit sector is a business and within that business comes professionalism and other things that may not need to easily accessible. FCC has an accessible and clear way for you to code for nonprofits and that is completing you certificates and making sure that you are ready for integrating yourself with that kind of responsibility and opportunity.

To answer your question I do not think FCC has shifted their focus because FCC is entirely what you make it. You gain skills using FCC and you are able to contribute those skills to wherever you feel necessary.

Cheers and hope I didn’t seem negative :slight_smile:

@clarka77 Thanks for posting those! Many here could find them useful, including myself…