Why ES6 is so hard?

I find it difficult to understand ES6 . And why do technologies change so fast?
How can people stay up to date. As a developer how many languages you should know ? What’s the max language skill expectation?

I’m having a similar problem. However, ES6 isn’t too hard; it’s mostly some syntactic sugar and functions made to fix problems and increase ease of use. ES5 functions still work in ES6. The more languages you know the better, but remember that a jack of many trades is a master of none. You can have basic-intermediate to an unimportant language, but most likely need an advanced knowledge of a relevant language. Sorry for the long post.

What do you mean you have similar problem? Like learning new technologies?

Yup! Still learning ES6 syntax here with medium JS skills.

are you following the free code camp’s curriculum?

I am, but I also practice by my self. I recommend edabit for coding practice.

I felt very confused about ES6 notation when I was taking the freeCodeCamp 's JavaScript Algorithms and Data Structures course when I was taking it several months, but after going through bunch of tutorials and solving assignments for the following curriculum, I naturally started using a lot of ES6 syntax in my code.

I think that as long as you spend more time learning programming with JS, you will naturally start understanding ES6 syntax much better.

ıt’s dry. I can’t continue learning ıf I don’t build a project after 1 or 2 courses that ı fınısh. Even as small as a modal box or hamburger menu.
What ı don’t like about free code camp is that even in basic js at the end they make a topic really long. I wısh they ıntroduced the topics in their purest form and throw any number of long exercise.

Some udemy tutors say that you have to understand ES5 well and then start ES6.
But fre code camp’s curricula is the opposite of what others say. After basics of JS they start ES6. I trıed fınıshed only few. Decided to take udemy courses.

I think different programs have different approaches, but for now you probably could just use ES5 syntax for your projects. If you keep reading others code through tutorials or forums trying to solve some programming problems, you will start grasping those ES6 concepts and naturally implement in your code.

I personally also use other courses to enhance my freecodecamp curriculum. FCC gives you a starting point and structure as well as ideas for the projects that you can eventually put on your portfolio, but it probably doesn’t exactly go in-depth with some concepts and it is a good idea to use external sources.

For example, I’m taking front-end certification on FCC now and using Youtube tutorials and reading bunch of articles on Medium .

3 Likes

nice. What about es6+ ? by the time I get to ES2020 it’ll probably be 2022 and there will be no js if the new language does not replace ıt.
ı mean the web assembly.

Back in the day, I was a professional juggler (among other things). And it was a question I always got, when someone saw me throwing things about: “Hey, can you do five?” or six, or eleven between three of us, or whatever permutation of insanity you like.

You have to decide on the point where you are comfortable. ES6 is a lot to absorb, yes. There are a lot of changes in there, and there are more on the way. It’s a thing. The older features, while possibly deprecated, haven’t been removed - simply they’re saying “when you build code, you probably don’t want to rely on these!” Too many codebases have been built that rely on them to simply remove them.

But at what point do you throw in the towel and stop chasing that brass ring? That’s a personal decision. I was out of the game for a good eight years, started getting back in maybe five years ago, and discovered everything had fundamentally changed. First time I saw arr.map() I nearly gave up. And forget about arr.reduce()! I mean, what??

But I played with them, deconstructed them, found uses for them… and gradually fell in love. The newer features make my code so much more robust, while making it far more readable to a mature coder.

I started coding back in 1983. Between programming and markup languages, the number is approaching three dozen (darn markup languages…). And I see no end in sight. The more I see modern languages evolve, the more excited I get. These are the times to be a developer. We’re being given the tools to build all the powerful tools!

The trick is, don’t be afraid to branch out and challenge yourself. Take part in codewars challenges, or take the FCC challenges and put them into a “sandbox” (https://repl.it/, or https://codepen.io/ or wherever you develop). Deconstruct them, break them, see why they broke, and find your own solution to fixing them.

Ask questions of yourself, your peers, your mentors. Get involved in open-source projects, and tear the code apart. Get active on the discord group, or the slack groups, or the gitter.

Currently, I’m mentoring on six different online curricula (curriculums? courses ). And the reason? The more questions I answer, the more I’m challenged to learn just that little bit more.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!!