Why is freecodecamp cheating on me

your button is missing the >

you are missing the body element to contain the elements to display on the page

also you have same issue as reported by Jeremy above on your p tag

1 Like

@User666

Yes, we can all remember how confusing this all is. And making the transition from doing a challenge to building an actual “real” web page is certainly difficult.

I might suggest a few things. First of all, keep it simple. I see that there are several errors here. That can be very confusing in the beginning. I would recommend just building a simple hello world page. Once that works, just add one thing and test it.

The other thing is that while notepad is a fine basic editor, you may want to look into something a little more geared towards coding. Notepad++ is a little more in that direction, but you might also want to skip to something like VS Code or Atom - they are very powerful and have plugins that can catch mistakes like these. In the “real” world of coding, you’re much more likely to use an editor like those - they are really helpful.

You mentioned W3 - by all means if you feel like you need to learn something a little better, then find other sources. I used to look up youtube videos when something stumped me. FCC is not perfect and is not comprehensive. It’s free, it’s based on hard-working volunteers, and it is slowly improving. But it can’t be comprehensive and there will always be little things here and there that some people need to explore more deeply.

As I said, making the transition to building local sites is tough. I might suggest looking up youtube videos to see others doing it. It’s one of those things - it’s weird and confusing until it “clicks”.

4 Likes

Well I am lucky that I joined w3 and have no confusion.

And I was using the syntax learnt.

Oh I didn’t do body element back then.

Okay just forget now, I learnt CSS thanks to w3.

Wow, that’s impressive. Most people take many months (at least) to get good at CSS and W3 helped you learn it in less than 2 weeks. That must be an amazing site, I’ll have to take a look at it again. Even more impressive is that this crash course in CSS fixed the basic HTML errors in the code you provided - none of the code you provided had any CSS. That must be some kind of magic course material - I’ll have to check that out.

3 Likes

This is a second post (in the last few weeks) from freshly created account that is basically trying to say “FCC is bad, go somewhere else”.

Looks like someone wants to discredit the site.
Does it happen often? I was not active on forums.

It’s the internet. What are you gonna do? I don’t know what the story is here - I don’t like to assume malice. People are allowed to have their opinions and as long as they are civil, they can share it here, even if they don’t like something about FCC. This didn’t seem that constructive to me, but what do I know? As long as it doesn’t get disruptive, it’s probably best to just let it die out.

If that was their intent they did a terrible job of it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

byebye user666.
I think freeCodeCamp is good anyway haha
there are always people helping me doing the project
thats what i like freecodecamp about
so byebye

True… “never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

I was trying to avoid the harshness of the full expression in this specific case. But I also won’t argue against it.

this is going toward harasment, defending freeCodeCamp is not worth breaking its Code of Conduct

1 Like