Why no semi-colon at end of curly bracket in this exercise

I’m working on the “Accessing Objects Properties with Variable” (https://www.freecodecamp.org/challenges/accessing-objects-properties-with-variables) exercise right now and noticed that there is no semi-colon at the end of the Object’s curly bracket. So far, all of the accessing objects lessons have ended the object with a curly bracket and semi-colon. Why the change?

thanks,
Danny

I just noticed that, but I was referring to their examples on the left.

Semicolons are weird in JS. Sometimes they’re required, sometimes they’re verboten, and sometimes they’re kinda optional.

This runs fine:

const PI = 3.14159
var radius = 10

var circle = { radius: radius, circumference: radius*2*PI }

console.log("radius = " + circle.radius)
console.log("circumference = " + circle.circumference)

And so does this:

const PI = 3.14159;
var radius = 10;

var circle = { radius: radius, circumference: radius*2*PI };
; ; 
console.log("radius = " + circle.radius); ; ; ; ; 
console.log("circumference = " + circle.circumference);

There are a few boobytraps and definite no-nos, but there is a lot of leeway. I think tend not to put them after curly braces (since that’s a code block) and put them in other places (but there is probably an exception or two that is not coming to mind.) If you put in an extra semicolon, I think it just gets interpreted as an empty line.

If you look around online you’ll find guides like this.

1 Like

Semicolon automatic insertion possibly. JavaScript engine reads your code character by character and if there isn’t a semicolon where it expects one it will add it as it determines what’s valid syntax.

1 Like