Wikipedia Snippet Viewer

Hello!

When I was working through the old version of freeCodeCamp, one of the personal project challenges included building a “Wikipedia Viewer” utilizing Wikipedia’s public API. At the time I used jQuery to create the project.

In the past few months I’ve decided to revisit and rebuild it using React (which I’ve learned since building the original project). It turned into a fun little experimental project to play around with and try new things so I’ve added new features here and there and eventually this is what came out of it:

GitHub Repo
Live Demo

I would very much appreciate your feedback! :grinning:

HI @OrrSun !

I think your project looks really cool.

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Thank you!
I think I’m gonna work on the performance side of things now, lots of new things to learn.

Not bad, I like the bookmark and history features. A few suggestions.

1. You should clear the search input after the submit.

2. I would prefer if the links weren’t using curid for the URL but the actual page (i.e. wiki/subject).

3. It would be nice if the history dropdown closed when you clicked outside it and not just toggled when clicking Search History.

Good job, keep it up.

1 Like

Great suggestions @lasjorg !

I appreciate the feedback and have implemented the changes you’ve suggested.

1. I initially cleared the search input after submission, but then decided not to, thinking that it retains a visual context for the current search - which in hindsight was probably not the best choice.

2. Didn’t even think about the URLs. You’re right, they’re much more semantically meaningful that way.

3. Closing the dropdown history list when clicking outside of it was tricky but a very useful thing to try and implement. Had to learn more about using and forwarding refs, clearing event listeners on unmount, etc.

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.