Wikipedia Viewer App Ajax Error

Wikipedia Viewer App Ajax Error
0

#1

See the Pen aWEryX by Rob (@eolculnamo2) on CodePen.

For some reason my AJAX function isn’t working on my app. I can’t figure it out. Any ideas?


#2

what exactly are you trying to figure out? i see you’re talking to the API. are you having trouble printing the data to the web page?


#3

Yes. Nothing will go to the page. I’m pretty baffled. It’s logging the API in the console.


#4

okay, two things first off. i haven’t figured out everything your code is trying to do, but it’s certainly a start.

in your url to query the wiki api, you are requesting JSON, so you include origin=* (which resolves the CORS issue) and then you add on &callback=? which is to request the data in JSONP format. you need one or the other, but not both. since in your function, you’re requesting JSON, i just took off the &callback=? in the fork i made.

change the console.log(data) you have commented out to console.log(data[1]) to see the difference.

the next thing i noticed is in the for loop, you have i < data[1], but for it to work as i think you want, you’ll need i < data[1].length


#5

oh, and you’ll need a $ character before (".text").prepend since it’s a JQuery command.

eg $(".text").prepend("…");

lastly, i’d prolly use $().append here since it adds the next result to the end instead of the front like prepend does. i would choose this because the wiki results usually are ordered in terms of relevance. just my two cents.

any other questions, let me know!


#6

$("#text").prepend(“FUCK”); lol lol … this dosent work

for(i=0; i < data[1].length; i++){ // you forgot to add the .length in this line
$("#text").append("<li><a href= " + data[3][i] + ">" + data[1][i] + "</a><p>" +data[1][i]+"</p></li>");
i added the $ you forgot that … you were also using $(’.text’) instead of $(’#text’) … i changed prepend to append … and now the result shows up on your page.
Hope this helps


#7

Thanks guys! I’ll give all that a go!


#8

And I’m sorry for the vulgar bit I left in the code. I should have taken it out before posting on here. lol


#9

Thanks to both of you! It got me over the hurdles. Looks like I have a lot of learning to go!