Will web development as we know of today become obsolete in the next 5-10 years?

I have been working as a web developer professionally for the past 2 years. I am self taught and I had a very long journey learning the skills I have learned today. With all these low-code and no-code solutions arising today, in addition to AI technologies, will web development as we know it today change dramatically in the next 5-10 years?

Edit: You remember Flash, right? Will a similar situation happen to modern web development soon?

Flash is gone, browser games are still here, written in other languages, because there’s demand for them.

There will still be demand for Ebays, Amazons and Youtubes in 10 years time, so your skills will be needed (learning them won’t get easier). I see no code and AI as another set of tools.

1 Like

It will 100% change, but change dramatically is more up in the air.

Taking a “how was things done 5-10 years ago” lense? Things weren’t too different from today. Some things shifted, such as the move to clouds, the dominance of React, the expansion of TypeScript, but the underlying general concepts still apply. Things are still in HTML, CSS, and JS. Its just the “road to getting there” has changed a good amount.

In regards to low-code and no-code solutions, things really wont be too much of a factor in regards to change. Primarily because no-code and low-code isn’t new. The “ultimate” is excel, which has been around since the Windows 95 era, and yet there’s still plenty of new applications that provide similar functionality.

The one aspect that makes things a little more interesting and up in the air is the increased usage of AI. Something like copilot, only exists now due to the vast increase in data compared to just 10 years ago, along with increases in computing power.

This wont necessarily mean some kind of “AI takeover”, but it could be questions around the ethics and licensing of using AI powered tools. We already see some of these with some sites banning AI generated artwork, and controversies around tools like copilot generating code after being trained on other people’s code.

Overall the future seems bright for web development, as the web continues to be popular. Change will come, but more in slight shifts over time with new tools, like AI and the cloud. There is always talk about a “web3 based” future, but as of today “web 2” wont disappear overnight, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Flash was dropped due to security risks. Today’s web cares more about security due to the vastness of devices that could use it. Flash was also replaced with HTML/JavaScript, which can’t go anywhere as they are the foundations of the web.

No matter how funky JavaScript syntax is, it wont be going anywhere.

2 Likes