Working as a programmer for 18 months - FCC graduate

Dear FreeCodeCamp friends,

After working for 18 months as a programmer for a startup named GivingWay, it’s time to tell my programmer/developer story.

So before I begin let me tell you that English is not my native language, so writing this might be a bit of a challenge for me, but I do feel it is my obligation.

I was a promising student as a child. But my 20s and my early 30s were quite difficult. At 32 I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and life improved significantly.

Until then I haven’t really found myself in terms of career. I decided to give programming a chance. I tried a python course, but I haven’t enjoyed it, and (therefor) found it difficult to work on it as much as was needed. It was when I started working on FCC’s front end projects 2 and a half years ago that I started enjoying coding.

I have warm feelings for this inspiring project. I would like to take the opportunity to thank and pay my respect all those who have contributed to this awesome helpful project.

To students who read this, here are a few suggestions:

• Programming is about working with computers and working with people. If possible find programming mentors you can learn from. If possible find other students you can work with.
  • Work on a local editor (such as VsCode). This provides a superior experience compared to online editors (such as CodePen).
  • Enjoy. It could be fun. Choose projects you enjoy and give them your touch, don’t be harsh on yourself. Some find front end to be more rewarding at least at the beginning. Some enjoy listening to music while programming. Remember, if you enjoy you will be able to continue it long term.
  • If possible, when the day comes, pay it forward :slight_smile:

Best wishes!

9 Likes

Thanks @QuincyLarson

Thanks for sharing!!!

I second working on local editor such as VScode

Thank you for your inspiring story!