Would like feedback on how I can improve

Hey! I taught myself how to code and I’m trying to land my first job as a frontend developer. Would greatly appreciate any feedback on my website and projects. If you think I need to develop my skillsets more in a certain area by building specific types of apps please let me know!

Here is my website: https://www.anthonyyoo.com/

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @anthonyyoo24 !

Welcome to the forum!

I think your projects look good.
I wish you well on the job search.

1 Like

Hey Anthony,

great design!

Some ideas:

• Your page is written for developers, naming all these fancy technologies. But developers are not the bouncers/gatekeepers, but recruiters and HR people are; e.g. when you talk about projects, tell what business problems they solve; if I want to know which tech you use, I can have a look at your Github

• If you have a blog, I would add more than one post

Have fun!

1 Like

Hello @anthonyyoo24, I gave a quick look at the source code and definitely they are enough to get you enough attention to be considered for a “technical interview”.

Generally that’s the second step of the process, right after the general interview with the HR / Hiring Manager.

If you are not getting there yet, means that you are struggling catching the attention of HR, rather than other developers. This usually can be solved by polishing resume / cover letters rather than building new projects.

Finally remember to manage expectations: job hunting can be a long and tiring projects, even more than building and learning new projects, so don’t get discouraged if you get some bump on the road ahead, it simply means you are moving forward and progressing :slight_smile:

Best of luck :sparkles:

2 Likes

I agree with both points, thanks a lot for the feedback. From your perspective, do you think it would make more sense to write my next few blog posts on just technical topics or something general as well?

Hey really appreciate it

That’s a good point, I definitely need to put more effort into polishing up my presentation for HR people. Thanks a lot for the feedback and encouragement!

One thing that bothers me on portfolio sites is when I have to search for things.

You have a front page that is almost devoid of information. All I can tell from that is that at some point you’ve been to an exotic location. The phrase “The Next Chapter” tells me that you’re going through some kind of a transition and “Embarking on a New Journey” tells me that you are starting a new career, read: new to coding. Is that what you want to emphasize?

My point is that hirers have to look at hundreds of these things. You want to give them an idea of who you are in 5 seconds because that may be all you have.

Yes, you have a second front page, but it’s under the fold. I didn’t even realize it. I went to the nav buttons looking for what I wanted to know. Yes, when I realized the front page was scrollable, I went to the second front page and found some of the information I wanted - I found out that you’re a front-end developer and that you have these techs.

My thought is that this hiring manager has a list of techs from their engineering team. They don’t know what React and Redux are, but they know that the engineering team says that it is a requirement. Why make them search for it?

I think people sometimes get too carried away with trying to show off and present style. I think if I were a hiring manager, I wouldn’t care that you like staring out into the ocean. What does that have to do with being a developer? To me that’s almost a distraction - but I’m sure some would disagree. But at the very least, I think that front page should give me the basics of who you are - name, the position in which you are interested, and the technologies you know. I would expand that list, maybe organize it a little.

This is controversial, but I might include a location on the front page. Looking at your picture, I was wondering, where is this guy? The Amalfi Coast in Italy? If I’m a hiring manager in Austin, that might give me a little pause. If you live in the country to which you are applying, why not make it clear (by inference at least) that there won’t be an issue with your right to work? But others may disagree.

I might also just sum things up in a few sentences on that front page: I am front-end developer looking for a junior developer position." That with the techs on the front page let them tell in 5 seconds if you are in the ballpark for the position.

Also, I would want more on you contact section. Phone number? Git account? Linkedin? Maybe also have your actual email in case they want to store it for later or send it to someone?

Somewhere in your page I’d also want a link to your resume for them to download in pdf format.

Your portfolio section looks pretty good - I’d just want some more projects. And try to come up with your own ideas - even if they aren’t great - they don’t care if you’re good at coming up with ideas. Yeah, I know that this is just where you are at the moment and that’s cool, but that’s what I’d want to see. Keep building new things and use them as an excuse to learn new technologies. Also, I’d want you to learn a little backend. Even front end developers benefit from learning a little backend.

Those are my thoughts. Still, it looks nice, very polished. Best of luck.

3 Likes

Hey Kevin, I appreciate the blunt criticism and I think you made a lot of good points which I will definitely implement when I revamp my website.

Agree with a lot of what kevinSmith posted.

To add onto that, your “My Story” page seems…irrelevant. Or something like that, since I can’t think of a better word. It’s so long that I didn’t bother reading the whole thing personally, and the content seems out of place to put on a website where you’re presenting yourself to look for coding jobs. I doubt anyone will care to read the page and would recommend you to delete it.

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t look too closely, but I’d agree with that. For me, that should be more your “coding journey”, how you got to where you are now as a coder.

Ok thanks for the feedback.

I think that doesn’t matter at all.
It’s more about telling who you are and what you do than writing for recruiters about what you think they would like to see.
Consistency is also a good idea.

1 Like