How do people now what to do in these exercises?

and this one too

https://learn.freecodecamp.org/apis-and-microservices/mongodb-and-mongoose/perform-new-updates-on-a-document-using-model-findoneandupdate

how are people supposed to know to put a callback in the .findOneAndUpdat() function, when even in the mongoose docs they don’t do that?

https://mongoosejs.com/docs/tutorials/findoneandupdate.html

It’s a great way to turn people off learning to code.

You might as well say, “look go and read the mongoose docs and teach yourself, we’re not going to teach you anything”

and when you google the problem the only answers are on this form!

Cause you are not being taught how to code you being taught how to pass FCC questions!

You might as well say “Honestly, if you have a computer it is kinda expected that you know how to code, if you don’t that’s your problem”

lol

Where in the course does it show you how to look for documentation?

“Huh, it’s kinda expected that you know that.”

You might as well say “Huh, it’s kinda expected that you already know how to code”

If someone knew how to code they wouldn’t be here, it kinda defeats the whole purpose of the site.

It’s really stupid tbh

it says “if you get stuck remember to use Read-Search-Ask” pretty often at least at the beginning

Thank you for helping make FCC better. Bugs can be reported as GitHub Issues. Whenever reporting a bug, please check first that there isn’t already an issue for it and provide as much detail as possible.

Yeah if you look here - MongoDB and Mongoose - Chain Search Query Helpers to Narrow Search Results

User: ccrubby214 has the same problem, it’s not just me. -
“hi, thanks for your post! But a little question about this chanllenge, I don’t know the specific usage about sort() , limit() and select() , they didn’t describe in the chanllenge and I searched for them in the Mogoose doc or JS or SQL, still not knowed exactly meanings about them , could you tell me how to know that? thank you!”

Yeah if you look here - MongoDB and Mongoose - Chain Search Query Helpers to Narrow Search Results

User: ccrubby214 has the same problem I had, it’s not just me. -
“hi, thanks for your post! But a little question about this chanllenge, I don’t know the specific usage about sort() , limit() and select() , they didn’t describe in the chanllenge and I searched for them in the Mogoose doc or JS or SQL, still not knowed exactly meanings about them , could you tell me how to know that? thank you!”

I guess you’re expected to have a certain level of problem solving skills. You can’t expect to be spoon fed everything. It is an engineering trade after all. You say this turns people off coding. But I think it serves the purpose to weed out people with attitude not cut out for this job.

1 Like

Are you stuck?

1. Read - Read what the exercise, job, or a project wants from you. If you don’t get it - Search
  2. Search - internet resources, documentation, blogs, read it again, etc. still don’t get it? - Ask
  3. Ask - Ask in the forum, ask your co-worker, etc.

This is the life of a programmer it’s not just this course in the future you will face even more difficult problems. And this is covered on every single project, if you went that far into the course IT’S EXPECTED for you to be accustomed to it because to get to that point roughly you are coding for 1k hours. Are you telling me with a straight face that you did not do any extra research on making your projects look good? So why can’t you do research to find a solution to an exercise or learn more to understand how the function works? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agree with what others have said about this already. To be clearer and more specific, I’d add:

Knowing how to use Google is a key part of working in software development.

It’s possible to figure out a lot, and I mean a LOT, including the answer to the aforementioned FCC exercise, when you know how to use Google. And no offense intended, but this is something you have to learn for yourself—it’s not something that someone else can do for you. Once you get past the hurdle of knowing how to use Google for situations like these, it should make things easier.

Basically, yes you actually do have to learn how to look for documentation and then read & understand it.

To answer this question in particular, I’m guessing not too many people will know that. Figuring out how to use the findById() function is something everyone has to do on their own.

2 Likes

It’s great that you want to complain about a free course that you seemingly expect to teach you everything. When you start coding your own projects, you’ll have to do a hell of a lot more searching without even knowing the name of the code component you need. The community is here to help, but when posts seem to have an aggressive mood to them, it may be less willing to help you. Granted, the 404 is a bit annoying. But remember, this is a free course that has cost you nothing financially. I understand there is a new update the the course coming in the near future.

Of course, you can spend money on courses that do provide lots of details, or maybe books that may be better suited to your learning approach.

Did you work through other course modules or just jump in at the Mongo stuff?

2 Likes

No, you can’t excuse a poor lesson plan by saying “It’s free”. The course is supported by donation and the rest of the course has high standards so it’s imperative that we stay intellectually honest and instead of shouting down people who are bringing up legitimate complaints aren’t shouted down.

The Mongo section is by far the worst section of the course. I’ve been stuck on this one problem and all the googling in the world isn’t helping because they all lead back to the FCC forums where there are other people asking for help with little to no help. It’s been over half a year and the section hasn’t improved. At this point I’m thinking about skipping the Mongo section and just going to find another course from the start. I mean I was going to do that anyway but it would be nice to get through the section at least.

1 Like

there a few bugs there, yes. At this time there is still an effort to keep patching up the lessons, plus a complete overhaul of the curriculum is in progress.

Have you checked what’s the state of the issue in the github repository? Or created one yourself?

Most bug fixes depends on if someone with the right knowledge comes along and contribute to this open source project. It seems that the issue has not been raised or someone has not yet had the chance of fixing it.

What freecodecamp teaches is what is used to build it.

Donations are used for an handfuls of people salary, and server space, it’s not enough to have a full team capable of maintaining everything.

Actually It is really a good question

My point is that we shouldn’t just dismiss complaints by saying that because it’s a free course, you should just shut up. I did listen to a podcast that Quincy Larson did recently so I am well aware of how limited resources are; however, he also takes a lot of pride in the quality of the course and doesn’t want it to become like a college class where professors are gatekeepers and believe that anybody who doesn’t understand a topic, doesn’t belong in computer science. Telling people that they shouldn’t be spoon-fed and to “figure it out if you’ve come this far” is what those professors do and is against the spirit of FCC IMO.

Anyway, it feels like a lot of last part of the course starting with Redux were a bit rushed. It’s not that there is a bug to report per se but things weren’t explained well. Perhaps it’s because the resources are working on the new curriculum.

None of this means that I don’t think this is a good course. I recommend it and help out people in local meetups when I can.

open issues for all those lessons you think needs to be modified. Contributors (and yourself) can discuss on it, and someone can actually do the changes.
There is not much done for which there is not a github issue opened beforehand

I have been working through the FCC tutorials and I appreciate the resources that have been made available. I have learned a lot from this site.

However, some of the tutorials are very lacking in quality and should just be omitted until they are ready. The value of FCC would improve immensely if the poor-quality tutorials were simply put on hold until they are improved. The MongoDB and Mongoose course is full of such tutorials.

While we should definitely be expected to read documentation and figure out how all this works it does not excuse the poor course design. We should not tell off people who express their frustration with the courses. I think the frustration is very valid.

The expectation that someone new to programming should be opening tickets to improve the course is also somewhat concerning.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but the initial point is still valid.

Thank you for helping make FCC better. Bugs can be reported as GitHub Issues. Whenever reporting a bug, please check first that there isn’t already an issue for it and provide as much detail as possible.

You can also write in the same place your proposition for how the challenges should be updated (if you can propose a different challenge description), or just write about which challenges should be updated. (Bad challenges should totally be considered bugs)

Note that the release of curriculum 7.0 is expected during 2020 so at this time there is no intention to create new challenges, only update the already existing ones if needed.