Making your own way: Working as a Remote Developer

I think this is a little different for everyone so take my experience with a grain of salt.

I actually found my mentor through a course he was offering. It was called the Advanced Beginner Challenge and since I was one of the first people to sign up he offered weekly mentoring via WhatsApp.

He got up to date with my background information and then we would work together to create achievable goals that I could do each week. They had to be specific. Not " I want to learn JavaScript" It had to be more like “I will work on this specific JavaScipt topic for thirty minutes everyday this week” or " I will find 3 jobs I am interested in applying to and write a resume and cover letter tailored to each" The topics depended on what my goals were at the time.

I have had other “mentors” along the way. Usually they are short term or for specific areas I need help on. Like when I was learning SVG animations, I reached out to Sarah Drasner on Twitter. I never asked her to be a mentor. I would ask her specific questions when I was particularly stuck on something and had exhausted all my other resources.

Being a mentor is time consuming and not something people usually get paid for. If you are lucky enough to find someone willing to mentor you definitely make sure you use their time wisely :slight_smile:

2 Likes