Ask an IT Recruiter!

Ask an IT Recruiter!
0.0 0

Thanks for the very useful response. I’m in New Jersey, with easy access to New York City.

Would “junior contract role” be the appropriate phrase to use to specify what I am looking for? Are there other “buzz phrases” which might be useful?

Steve

Hey Joe,

Thanks for this informative thread, it is so helpful to have someone on the other side :slight_smile: . I am on the verge of looking for freelance clients but am also hunting for a Web Dev related job and am very interested to know what you, as a recruiter in the EU, would make of my Portfolio and CV.

I wish you all the best with your new career direction (it is on of the most exciting fields to be working in at the moment so congrats!)

Hi Jethro,

I think that your portfolio is great! How long have you been studying for? I think you are definitely ready to find work given what you have made so far.

The main thing to focus on is your portfolio and the projects you have completed! Just make sure you keep your CV non cluttered and focus on mentioning the technologies that you have used. Looks good to me though!

I would just say that you are looking for Front End freelance/contract positions, using X, Y, Z technologies (whatever you want to work with and have experience with!

Hey! That’s good to hear!! I’ve been studying for a year and a half, mainly for my own small businesses, but I took a liking to web development and just recently finished the fronted developer certificate so that’s the direction I’m headed.

All the best with your coding plans!

Hi Jethro,

Out of interest, where did you host your twocan English learning site? That looked really good. And for your portfolio page, did you use Github pages? I am probably going to do the same but it is quite confusing (at least to me) to use Github pages - did you design your portfolio page or did you use one of their templates?

I’m sure you’ll find a job in no time and be well on your way!

Hey Joe! That site is what really got me into web development. I am hosting it with Hostgator, it costs me about $11 a month and I can host unlimited domain names on there, set up mail routing, MySQL database etc etc… highly recommended if you just want to get something out there!

As for my portfolio, it is just made up of HTML, CSS and a bit of JavaScript, no server side databases or languages like PHP… so I didn’t need a hosting account.

Honestly I still have a lot to learn about GIT and have never collaborated with a team that uses it. I have just used it to upload files to GitHub so far. Setting up a GitHub page was actually dead easy.

I simply made a new repository which has to be the same name as your github username. Then I build the site off-line, index.html, css/style.css, js/app.js and then I committed the entire folder to that repository.

GIT still confuses me, I am going through this course which is actually pretty brilliant: https://www.udacity.com/course/how-to-use-git-and-github--ud775 and there are a few others on udacity too - brilliant learning resource.

As for the site itself, normally I would build it with bootstrap, but these days I prefer to just use these three key technologies: SCSS and FlexBox and Media Queries. I use flexbox to throw up a simple grid, I build everything using SCSS which compiles to CSS (I compile it using the koala-app) and just a couple of media queries to make things responsive.

Bootstrap is great for getting started quick, but I prefer to just set things up from scratch using SCSS, my brain likes it better. You can see how I split up my SCSS files into neat chunks and then use the Koala-app to compress them into one main.css file.

As for the JavaScript, this series of videos had the single biggest impact on my coding skills.

That’s sort of my frontend development work flow at the moment.

Hi Joe! I am a Web Developer who is coming from other careers before this one, like some of the others who have posted. I went to a Boot Camp at Montana Code School and I’ve been looking for my first Junior Web Developer job since I got out last December. Unfortunately there isn’t a lot of need for Junior Web Developers where I live and I’ve been hoping to find a remote job. What are the chances I can get one with limited experience? Also, I would appreciate your feedback on my website and LinkedIn page if you don’t mind.

Thanks!

Kevin Grastorf

http://kevingrastorf.com/#/welcome

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kevin-grastorf-97aa196/

This is my portfolio thus far: http://carleweibel.com/Portfolio/index.html I definitely have more to learn, but how close am I to getting where I need to be to start applying for work? I also have an IT degree from 2006, though I’m not sure how relevant that would be at this point.

Hi Joe!

I’d love to get some feedback. Do recruiters often follow through to check the portfolio & github pages? Or does everything revolve around the resume to grab their attention?

I’m looking & applying on a daily basis for jobs in my area, but it’s hard knowing what’s working & what’s not sometimes. Feedback is hard to come by!

Here’s a link to my portfolio, if anyone has any ideas for it i’d love to hear them!

http://www.benchlamp.co.uk/

Ta!

Its a really nice portfolio, for me on mobile, your name goes out of the screen.

Thanks, fixed!

Incidentally, just found out that refreshing the cache for a mobile site isn’t as straight forward as I would have thought. For a quick fix, you can open the site in incognito mode, which should trigger the css file to reload.

Learning something every day!

Hi Joe,

Actually i’m in the process of making a similar move myself. I have many years of software/solution sales experience and want to cross the floor into the dev side of things for much the same reasons as you, I want a lot more variety and creative-intellectual satisfaction. The other point being that I.T. sales is becoming an ever more pushy/aggressive environment and I simply don’t want to become that kind of person.

Can I ask which technologies did you study to get your FE dev role ? How long did you study these for before getting paid work ?

Hope it’s all progressing well for you ! TIA

Hey Joe,

I have an interview tomorrow with an IT recruiter for a Web Developer position. I don’t have any experience working in the IT field but I am currently working as a freelance web developer. My question is, what are the questions usually asked by the IT recruiter? can you be detailed as much as possible?

Thanks!

Hi Sarah,

Good luck for the interview today!

If the interview is with an IT recruiter, then it’s highly likely that it will just be a screening interview rather than skills based. Questions like, what experience do you have, what are your salary expectations, what skills do you have that are related to this position, do you know about our company, whats your notice period (if you are working currently), are you willing to travel for work etc etc.

Recruiters won’t understand actual code or code related questions, so I am 90% sure it won’t be a competency interview (unless they are doing the interview with someone from IT), but they will ask you what technologies you’ve used and how long you’ve been working with them etc, so make sure you cover as many technologies as you’ve used and mention the key buzzwords from the job description as that is what they are looking to hear.

Either way, if you have any doubts as to whether they may ask technical questions, then its always better to be over prepared rather than under prepared. The key with interviews is that you should try and build some professional rapport; remember, interviews are with people so thats really important!

Good luck, and let me know how you get on as I’m intrigued to see how it goes!

If anyone else wants any advice then please feel free to ask! I’ve been working as a web developer for a while now too so I can always give my story if its of any interest.

Cheers,

Joe

No and no,
skills are transferable.
Your actual proven skill is what shows on the disgusting tests we need to take.
And eventhough we hate those tests with a passion, the reason they are there is that companies will like to see how much of a gap there is btwn what we “say” we do vs what we actually can do.
Please don’t get discouraged!

Thank you for the awesome fast reply! :heart_eyes:
Sadly the recruiter never called and it never happened :frowning_face:
But I got two more interviews coming up with the companies itself this time. Both positions are front-end web developers.
I’m guessing in the first interview, no coding questions are asked? Let me know what you think.
Thanks again!

My only experience so far is the satisfaction of 7 customers freelance ( nothing web related here)
My main website which has full stack integration and some apps ie. Rubiks cube solver

What are the odds of this getting me a job?

I also have another concern, i hear median is $60k
what is the minimum possible salary?
what is the maximum possible salary?