Is anyone here that became a developer/programmer after 27, is it possible or am i too old?

Ancient? I started my programming career at age 29. That was 38 years ago; I could retire by now but they wouldn’t let me!

2 Likes

I hope you’re not too old because I’m 27 too, and I’ll start looking for a job in a month or two, I started learning one year ago. PM me if you want to know if I got a job !

1 Like

Never to old mate :slight_smile: I am 50 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Twenty seven is young. I’m 62, but I have to admit that I started when I was 19–about 43 years ago. I guess there are grandparents alive today who weren’t born yet back then :slight_smile:

But when I got fired for the first time in my life in retaliation for reporting something I felt involved corruption, I took a little time off to take care of my elderly father with my wife while studying to bring my IT skills up to date. I’ve been studying Andrew Ng’s courses on machine learning and have been trying for 100% in each one. I knocked off a couple 100s but have to bring a couple up from 85 and 96 and I also need to complete a couple more. I also plan to complete Geoffrey Hinton’s course and the fast.ai course and then a specialization by a Russian team of Kagglers.

I’m here mostly to bring up my web skills a bit or just keep in touch with what’s going on out in the world. My javascript and such is quite mediocre at this time and I’d really like to bring it up to date as well. I also want to get into Flutter for Android and iOS.

So, believe it or not, 27 is not old and life is not over. I’m 62 and I still want to do something crazy, impossible, and interesting.

8 Likes

friend we all have fears but we have to put our trust in God, everything is possible, I am 22 years old and I want to become a web developer and I am also in the process of learning, do not give up

2 Likes

Listen here. all you young whippersnappers. Us old curmudgeons just like to say things like that. I got into web development at 50, and did so well with the classes that the tech school I was at asked me to be a part-time instructor. My last 5 years working were for the state government. I had to quit because of health problems, and have been on disability for the past years. I’m getting better, and came to free code camp just to brush up on things, and learn some of the new methods. Having taught this stuff, I can tell you that they have a good program here. Their step by step instructions beat a lot of the books that have too much fluff in them, As someone mentioned, the key is to do some coding every day. It’ll give you confidence and build a portfolio o your abilities. There are coding jobs out there all the time.

6 Likes

I started learning web development when I was 31. Started learning from the very basics: HTML and CSS, then went on to js and python. I’m now 33 and 3 months into my first front-end role working on an angular2+ app and building some static websites. It’s never too old. You just have to show off your skills with projects you built. I don’t think age matters.

2 Likes

Later in life?? Do you plan on living past 30? At 27 you have barely started to live. You still have Similac on your breath.

5 Likes

Pleased to hear about your enthusiasm, I study computer engineering but wasn’t so concentrated in the last period, just started to refresh my mind with html & css and about to start JavaScript, want to go in the track of ReactNative. I can assure that you’re not alone, not late, I thought like you because I’ve many colleagues who are more advanced than me, but still we have the time and willing to make it happen.
Will be happy to study together if possible :slight_smile:

Yep. Decided to learn when I was 27, became one when I was 30. A mix of school, self-study, and bootcamp got me a job as a junior full stack dev, doing everything from angular front ends, write microservices with Java Spring Boot to configure deployments with Kubernete. I’m not an expert on any of these, but I know enough to complete my requirements and meet deadlines.

I don’t have an inspirational story like some of the others that started later and reach their goal of becoming a professional in relatively short time. Truth be told, I probably should have work harder and gotten a job sooner, and if you asked me to code a moderately difficult algorithm on the white board, I probably still will struggle.

I had periods of burnout and self-sabotage like I’m sure many others had. I just slowly and steadily added more skills to my toolbox and kept them as sharp as I could. It’s not impossible, and it doesn’t take anything particularly special to achieve. Work and improve until your skills meet someone’s demand, like any other job.

1 Like

I’ve worked peripherally in IT forever, in PM, BA and QA roles…

My experience is that devs come in all shapes and sizes and all age ranges.

I think that age plays a factor when applying and interviewing for a job if you are older and just branching out (lacking professional working experience) into the IT industry. I am a firm believer that you are better off becoming a consultant in the long run than wanting to be employ somewhere out there. The employer will eventually prefer a younger fellow over you, why? is beyond me. I have been to few interviews, I do lack my certification (CCNA), but I have been messing with computers for the last 12 years or so. And the fact, that I am going through a career change doesn’t help my cause to become an IT network engineer. Most of my professional working experience had been in the Broadcast Industry, no matter though, I am aiming to become a consultant instead.

I am 42 years and just started the other day going through FCC materials which I find very useful to me. Had never written a single line of code before but what motivates me is working hard, using all the available coding material, the numerous job opportunities available and the flexibility once you join this line of work. At age 27, your faculties are still very strong and alert. No need to worry but you seem to be wanting to achieve very much not knowing that at 27 the sky is the limit. At my 42, I am hopeful that I will have mastered coding by 44 and also secure a job.

3 Likes

No ! Absolutely not ! I started after 30. I learned by myself and I have been working in développement since (I’m 55 now).
Be confident !

4 Likes

you have the advantage that the programming languages are in English, the best programming guides are in English …
I however do not know English, I am a translator to write, I am from Venezuela and where I live I do not have Internet connection, however I am not surrendered and I am still learning

2 Likes

Well, I’m 27 and I’m starting my first job on Monday, so it definitely can be done. Age is way down on the list in terms of getting your foot in the door. Stuff like your location, background (degrees, general job experience etc) will hold far more weight when applying for jobs.

Turned 40 in May- Started my first Dev job June 11th… Started learning earnestly about a year ago…
If I can do it you can do it.

7 Likes

Use your age and life experience to your advantage. Most likely you have more experience than other young developers and while it may not be in web development you can use your past job history to prove you are a skilled professional who is also a ninja developer. Adapt your past experiences to prove that the abilities you picked up in the past transfer over to any career. Be confident and use your business sense to show off your ability to be adaptive and to be able to thrive in any field.

Obviously you won’t have to post your age in your resume and in most places they can’t legally ask you. When the potential employer sees your resume stand out among the rest based on past experience and dedication to the work force, wow them with your energy and professionalism.

When I have interviewed in the past I tended take the mindset of, “I don’'t need this job they need me,” which is true or else they wouldn’t be looking to hire someone. That does not mean I am cocky going in. Instead I am confident and courteous, I know the right things to say, ask appropriate questions and encourage them to understand I am the right person for the job.

Research their business and website(s)/app(s). Have in your mind’s eye an idea of how they will benefit by having you on staff and relay that message subtly throughout the interview. Going back to “they need me,” when I feel as though I am not losing anything if I don’t get hired I am more comfortable and give off an aura of what it might be like to work with me, as opposed to being nervous and clumsy. And as a bonus I am gaining valuable life experience from the interview, I take mental notes on what did and didn’t work, which will prove beneficial in my next interview(s).

So beef up your resume and portfolio and get your foot in the door, then
its up to you to land the job and to know what you are talking about when you get there.

Good Luck,

Morgan segura

1 Like

Me too! Keep coding!

follow freecodecapm JavaScript challenge. then you will be the king of programming . there is no other materiel i think you require to learn JavaScript.