Is it worth it?

@Red-Tyger

Thank you for your encouraging response to my ambiguous question.

Glad I’m not the only one who struggles with that haha. But like you said, I know it’s definitely not a complete waste of time, and worse case scenario if it is, well at least I’m just replacing my video game time (where I’ve wasted away countless hours) with coding time, so it’s a good trade at the end of the day lol.

If you don’t mind me asking, what kind of industry were you in before, and what was your entry job into the tech industry? DM might be better, if you don’t mind.

Thank you for your time.

@ArielLeslie

Thank you for your response.

Yup, most definitely. I just have to keep grinding at it and go from them.

@DanielHuebschmann

Thank you for your feedback.

I’m currently working through that course, almost done with the coffee menu lol.

Really? That’s very encouraging to hear. I know I’ve just started, but this just feels like CS1001 - “Hello World” type stuff, that I’ve done before, and didn’t really get anywhere with. But you’d say almost all of your basics was from FCC, and it was sufficient enough to get you started in the tech field? Do you mind telling me what kind of industry you were in and what kind of entry job you got in the tech industry? Maybe DM would be better? I’d really appreciate your advice and guidance

Thank you for your time.

I hope you can figure it out.
Good Luck My Friend :raised_hands:
We [FCC Community] are with you always

1 Like

Before getting into IT, which is where I’m at right now, I worked as a records and geoscience technician for a gas producer. It sounds fancy, but often it would be more about making the coffee… :roll_eyes:

My entry job into tech was working for a company that subcontracted techs with little experience to complete short-to-medium term projects. Jobs ranged from one-night equipment moves to working in hardware imaging labs and travelling cross-country to deploy Point-of-Sale computers in rural retail chains. Glamorous it was not: I was hired as much for my ability to lift heavy boxes as my ability to set up and troubleshoot computers. However, it could be fun and I made some good contacts.

The process of getting work as a coder will be quite different, I imagine. However, I listened to Quincy Larson’s book How to Learn to Code & Get a Developer Job and it has given me some ideas of how to go about it.

I think the most important thing for the moment is that coding is an incredibly accessible (and fun!) way to start exploring technology. Everything you need, from educational resources to IDEs, is available to you right now, for no additional cost.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.