Why do developers use macs?

I’ve had the exact opposite experience. I’ve had so many experiences of Apple’s expensive hardware failing that I refuse to throw any more money into that trashfire.

1 Like

I feel it depends on what coding language you are using and of course preference. I grew up always using Windows primarily for gaming. I was taught C# using Visual Studios and SQL through Microsoft SQL Server as a Business Information Systems major in college. So getting started, all I knew was Windows. Then I start learning Python as part of a group, I would see people with Mac or Linux OS machines get things done within a few steps, when it would take Windows a few additional steps.

I think people shouldn’t get so worked up over other peoples’ choices.

1 Like

Please don’t do this. Macs have certain advantages when used for development for many people (yes, you can run stuff in containers but adding an extra layers of complexity to dev environments without good reason is not fun). Windows machines have certain advantages when used for development for another large group of people. Linux machines same, for a smaller group. It is a tradeoff that heavily involves other things, primarily support. And the price difference is not huge between macs and equivalent non-macs, and is also largely irrelevant for the largest group of purchasers (who are not individuals). Bikeshed away, but the above quote is not accurate and just seems designed to piss people off: there are good reasons why people prefer different systems, calling them idiots for doing so is a bad take.

1 Like

“adding an extra layers of complexity to dev environments without good reason is not fun”

Containerizing or VMing environments simplifies team development and ensures deployment to production goes smoothly. If you’re not doing this, you’re behind the curve plain and simple.

The price difference IS huge between Macs and equivalent PCs. The idea that price doesn’t really matter because companies are footing the bill…in an industry built on startup companies, is quite preposterous.

You want to argue with me, so please argue with me by providing a tangible advantage of Mac over PC for development.

Piss people off? You’re right. I have no reservations about upsetting a culture of people who concern themselves with how trendy they look while developing, even when it comes with costs to their wallet and productivity.

Thank you Mr O’Reilly DevOps newsletter, but again, it’s a trade-off, sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it does not. Being told I’m “behind the curve” when I’m fully aware of the tradeoffs (that to containerise dev environments adds a huge level of complexity that I’ll choose whether I want to deal with or not), that’s a wee bit patronising. Also, you know, I can run VMs or containers on a Mac as well.

Yes, from a hundred or so up to ~$1000, but within a company that is, relative to the cost of a developer, a very small amount. If said developer is going to be more productive on a Mac then it’s not a cost. Also, support. For an individual developer, it may well not be worth the cost (but equally it may be!), but you’re being incredibly presumptuous.

Still waiting for you to list a single advantage that would cause a developer to be more productive on a Mac. If containers are a hugely complex concept in your mind, then I’m afraid to see the code you produce. Get back to Wordpress and let the devs talk.

I am 100% aware you can use containers in Mac. My point was that a Unix shell is not an advantage on Mac BECAUSE you should be working in container environments anyways.

You have got quite the chip on your shoulder there.

You are utterly, utterly presumtuous. So you teach people, do you? And in your spare time go on a public forum under a pseudonym and talk in sweeping generalisations and clichés in an attempt to rile people up? :+1: :100:

Your code is bad and you should feel bad. GG EZ.

Just removing the visibility of this :slight_smile: