1 month in. I need some advice please

Hey, my name is Logan. I am from Birmingham, AL. I just recently quit my job of 15 years as a supervisor and mechanic at the first of the year. The job was a means to an end and I want to find something I actually enjoy. I started exploring some options. I have always wanted to do something with tech. I started taking the Google IT course on Coursera and since then I have been narrowing my interest down. I like the front end side of things so far, but the designing aspect has pushed me more to the backend. I do not have a college education or any background in this, so I do understand I have a small disadvantage there. I have been learning HTML,CSS, & Python, but I’m staring to hit a little wall with Python.
I do not know anyone personally that is even the slightest bit interested in tech so finding some people in the south would be great. I’m trying to find the right path so I can set some kind of of end goal to look at.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi, Logan! You’ve mentioned you are from Birmingham, AL, is that in the US?

There are tons of jobs in Tech, not only as a software developer or programmer. With that being said it appears you are interested in development, is that correct?

There are lots of technologies and languages to learn depending on your goals. I would advise you strongly to choose one and focus on that. The good thing about front-end development is that you have a strong visual representation of what you are building and coding, and sometimes you don’t have that with backend development.

For example, if you wanna work with frontend you need HTML, CSS and Javascript and a JavaScript framework, like react, angular or vue. It’s almost impossible to find a job without knowing a framework! You should aim to create a simple CRUD application (yes, including the backend, maybe with nodeJs and some database of your choice). Making HTTP requests, understanding how the web works.

Now, I’m not familiar with your current situation and the situation of your country, but having a contact with a formal education institution helps a lot. Not in terms of knowledge, but in terms of networking and to expand your horizons. For example, you’ve said you don’t know people that interested in tech personally and that’s precise what a formal course you provide you with.

You also mentioned you are learning python. Python is a great language and you can do lots of cool stuff with it, but it’s focus is with data science/machine learning from what I understand. You have to focus on what the market wants for each specific position. I wouldn’t advise you to learn Java if you want to be a frontend developer, for example.

If you want more help with something specific feel free to write on this post or on another one. But let me tell you this, I’m sure you can achieve anything if you put your mind and effort! You need to study, but I’m 100% sure you can do it!!!

Sorry for my writing, english is not my strongest suite. God bless you very much, Logan!!!

1 Like

Welcome to our community. You’ll find a bunch of fellow nerds here who are at various stages of our coding journey. I don’t know how many people here are in the American South, but the rest of us are just one internet away.

Don’t worry too much about web design if you’re interested in front end development. While it is often important for FE developers to be familiar with certain design principles (especially accessibility), we are rarely - if ever- building something new from scratch without a design to work from.

If you’re interested in web development, I would suggest focusing on JavaScript over Python. It is used in both frontend and backend development. I also think it’s a better choice for a first language (although some people will disagree).

I don’t want to bum you out, but I do want to point out that for most people who want to change careers into programming it needs to be part of a long-term plan that accommodates working another job. Everyone’s situation is different, but even when people are able to dedicate their full time to learning to code, it’s typical to take 1-2 years to gain the skills needed to get a programming job.

1 Like

After MERN stack, TypeScript, and MySQL, it will probably be a good time to look for some jobs.

I started with Python and Django, and about 2 months in I realized I had to learn JavaScript.

You’ll probably want to start with the MERN stack. Once you’re comfortable with it then build a portfolio and start looking for jobs.

Depending on what the jobs are asking for where you live, you’ll probably want to learn TypeScript and MySQL. May also be worth looking into Docker and AWS as well.

You can come back to Python later. I don’t even remember much of it but feel like I could easily pick it back up, whether it be for Plotly, Django, etc.

When you first begin applying for jobs, apply to everything, even if it states entry-level, mid, or senior.

I found some of these employers will send tests or question your abilities if you seem underqualified due to the lack of experience on your CV. It is then your time to shine. Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks, the advice is greatly appreciated. I recently talked with someone from the MITproxX about a MERN full stack bootcamp. It seems like what they offer is exactly what I’m doing now just without the backing of a name behind me. It’s very off putting with all the conflicting information about certifications, degrees, and bootcamps. I have worked extremely hard to be in a position to where I do not have to worry about working for quite some time. So the time aspect is not an issue. My name on discord is logo88205. Even on the internet I tend to be an introvert but trying to break that. Thanks again, and happy coding!!!

1 Like

That’s great to know. It’s a blessing to be able to afford a time off work to focus on your career!

University helps with structured knowledge and provides you with a broader vision of the field and also with meeting people. Those things help a lot, but they don’t give you a job by themselves.

Bootcamps can help with specific technologies and certifications too. But only having them is not enough, as they don’t make you hirable. What makes a good developer it’s their portfolio, as they show your skills and knowledge objectively. That should be your main focus. Certifications are good, but not nearly enough.

Also, if you want to work with Frontend you NEED to know a framework. Lot’s of people use React, but I prefer Angular. You should choose one that fits you and that is in demand on the market.

In the beginning the projects will be small and simple, as you don’t know much about stuff, but, with time, patience and practice you’ll evolve and your projects will become bigger and more complex and your skills improve. Aim to create fullstack applications eventually, as they can set you apart of the crowd. Even a frontend developer must know a little about server side applications and SQL.

Don’t be afraid of asking questions and accept that it’s normal to get stuck sometimes, as coding can be hard and demanding. The journey is more like a marathon than a race, so be consistent!

If you need help with any other things, feel free to ask!

Good luck, happy coding and God bless you!!

Just a suggestion, why don’t you try job in Tesla Berlin factory, pay and stock option is good. Also lots of Chinese EV companies are opening factories across EU.

If you wish to stay in UK itself, you can apply for Tesla service center as well. UK being 2nd largest car market in EU; you have loads of opportunities particularly in emerging EV sector itself.

Coming to 2nd career option, do check my below answer

Don’t hesitate to ask further queries