A picture book written in C code

Hey Everyone!

I’m in the process of writing an educational/fun coding book in the form of a picture book. The code (simple full C programs) represents situations in the story and the illustrations next to the code show the situations.

It’s called A Day in Code and I’m planning to launch it on Kickstarter. This is my landing page: https://www.dayincode.com

Would you be interested in this book? I’d be happy to hear any feedback. Thank you!

3 Likes

What age audience are you aiming for? And why C?

It does sound interesting. @chuckadams has great questions, but I’m tentatively possibily interested.

I’m aiming for kids and students, as well as hobbyists and other people learning to program. I want to create a “fun resource”. I chose C because I think it’s a very useful foundational language. It’s also the most popular language in embedded systems and microcontrollers.

1 Like

Interesting! Maybe I’ll get it for me kids…when I have some :smiley:

C99 or later? ANSI is great and all, but C99 really cleaned up some things. It gives us nice things like booleans.

C99…I didn’t even realize the single line // comment isn’t supported in the ANSI standard. The code examples will be simple, just to let you know!

1 Like

Thanks! It can also be a novelty book for programmers. :slight_smile:

For sure! I am genuinely interested! I would love to see it when it comes out!

Thanks so much! You can also sign up here to be notified by Kickstarter when it launches: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/914595512/a-day-in-code

1 Like

Cool. I was just wondering since you defined true and false rather than using stdbool.

Oh…I used true and false to make it more readable/understandable. Also, it’s for beginners to understand #define . Thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes

@Byte1 NICE book! I would love to read it. C is a great programming language.
I was just a little confused where it says " A picture book written in C code". I thought that the book was created using the C programming language. And I thought to myself “How did she do that?”. Lol.
To avoid confusion, I think it should say " A picture book written about C programming language".
There should be a link to get to the sundaelectronics.com website at the bottom of the page. I click on it and nothing happens.
Who illustrated the book?

Hello !

I really like your idea !
I’m sure it could help people unfamiliar with ‘logical reasoning’ to figure how the hell it works, in a cute way !

Did you think of an alternative way of publish it if kickstarter doesn’t work ?

As you already have some experience on kickstarter projects, what kind of feedback are you waiting here ?

Wish you the best for your project :slight_smile:

Thank you so much! I decided to describe it as a picture book “written in C code” rather than “about C code” to emphasize how it’s distinguished from other educational programming books…it contains simple full C programs in which the code represents the story’s situations, so it actually is “written in C code”! :slight_smile: Since this is a landing page for the book, I don’t have a hyperlink to my company website. The illustrator is a freelance artist.

Thank you!! I’m hoping to get interest from the Kickstarter community as well as people who are interested and haven’t used Kickstarter before. It’s a platform for discovery (if your project is ranked high enough!). I will use the funding to complete illustrations, formatting, etc. and then I can self-publish it after Kickstarter. If I can get enough funding, I’ll make it a Kickstarter “special edition” with some book embellishments. In terms of feedback, I’m looking to see people’s interest and reactions. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your comments! Just want to let you know that I finally launched on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/914595512/a-day-in-code I have a lot more info on the Kickstarter page than was on the landing page, so please let me know if you have any other thoughts/feedback about it.

1 Like