About condense arrays with reduce

The challenge offers this example of how to use reduce to  _subtract_ all the values of an array:

var singleVal = array.reduce(function(previousVal, currentVal) {
  return previousVal - currentVal;
}, 0);

My question is: why wouldn’t the same code work by replacing the - (minus) sign with + (plus) in order to add the values of an array?

Here’s the code I used –

singleVal = array.reduce(function(previousVal, currentVal){
 return previousVal+currentVal;});

but I still don’t understand why the example code wouldn’t work for addition as well as for subtraction.

Thanks.

3 Likes

You can add the values of an array in this way, with reduce()

myArray = [120,5,6,8,9]
//adding:
singleVal = myArray.reduce(function(sum, num){return sum+num;}); //return 148

//substracting:
singleVal = myArray.reduce(function(sum, num){return sum-num;}); //return 92

1 Like

It does, doesn’t it? What are you getting?

“Syntax Error: Unexpected token return”

Here’s the example code once again:

var singleVal = array.reduce(function(previousVal,
return previousVal - currentVal;
}, 0);

Well, this isn’t quite right. The callback isn’t written correctly. I assume something happened when you were copying/pasting from the problem this time around.

However, when I paste what you originally wrote:

return previousVal+currentVal;});

…into that challenge, it passes all of the tests.

3 Likes

Same for me – with the original code I sent, no problem. But the actual example code in the challenge seems to be missing a “currentVal” term. Is this something I should report?

Hi.
Note that if array is declared as var array = […values…], this code work
singleVal = array.reduce(function(previousVal, currentVal){ return previousVal+currentVal;});
and returns the correct value.

I copied and pasted it in nodejs, I just added a declaration of the array (var array = [125, 12, 35, 40];)
and it’s returned 212 (the sum) !

You can also test it in your browser console.

No it does not passes the test

var array = [4,5,6,7,8];
var singleVal = 0;

// Only change code below this line.

var singleVal = array.reduce(function(previousVal,currentVal){return previousVal + currentVal;});
array = singleVal;

I was struggling to understand why the code was not working as well based on the example, but
all I did was make
array = singleVal; and the code worked, the original code at the bottom is
singleVal = array;

The part that I re-read in the instruction that made me think to do this was “Use the reduce method to sum al the values in array and assign it (array) to singleVal.”

If someone wants to clarify why that worked while singleVal = array; failed I would like to know also. I remember that everything to the right of the = sign is already resolved before the value is assigned to the left so… since singleVal was already assigned(resolved) in the code above: var singleVal = array.reduce(function(previousVal,currentVal){return previousVal + currentVal;});

I decided to switch it and it worked. Hope this helps.

1 Like

ok you know what it is! I see what you mean. You need to zoom in on the page.

this part of the code doesn’t fit on the page so you won’t see it unless you zoom past 100% . That way the entire code will fit on the page

area
var array = [4,5,6,7,8];
var singleVal = 0;

return previousVal+currentVal;
}); 

//singleVal = array;

This worked for me…

Syntax error indeed. You forgot second argument, closing paren and opening curly brace.

const singleVal = array.reduce(function(previousVal, currentVal) { // forgot > currentVal){ <
  return previousVal - currentVal
}, 0)

also consider using modern syntax

const singleVal = array.reduce((a, b) => a - b, 0)

p.s: you can skip initial value in both cases: for + and - , so:

const subtractor = (a, b) => a - b
const summator = (a, b) => a + b

whateverArray.reduce(subtractor) === whateverArray.reduce(subtractor, whateverArray[0])
whateverArray.reduce(summator) === whateverArray.reduce(summator, 0)

Compiler is your friend. When it tells you it’s a syntax error - you should check for syntax errors.

1 Like

Oh shoot I deleted it right before I saw your reply because I figured that out on the next lesson haha.

As always, thank you Randell!

I think as we needed to assign array to singleVal we had to switch the around from singleVal=array to array=singleVal otherwise we would be assigning array to 0.

Hello everybody, I did this (please see below) and it worked, my logic was that I needed to find an array value and then assigned it to singleVal. But I would like to know how or why it worked, sorry if it is a dumb question but I don’t understand how you can use the same var name, thanks!

var array = [4,5,6,7,8];
var singleVal = 0;

var array = array.reduce(function(array,singleVal){
return array + singleVal;},0);

singleVal = array;