Analyzer not recognizing getter or setter

Tell us what’s happening:
Describe your issue in detail here.

When I run the tests, it tells me there is no getter or setter defined.
Your code so far

// Only change code below this line
class Thermostat {
constructor(fahren) {
  this._fahren = fahren;
}
//getter
get temp() {
  return (this._fahren-32)*(5/9);
}
//setter
set temp(cels) {
  this._fahren = (cels*9) / (5+32);
}
}

// Only change code above this line

const thermos = new Thermostat(76); // Setting in Fahrenheit scale
let temp = thermos.temperature; // 24.44 in Celsius
thermos.temperature = 26;
temp = thermos.temperature; // 26 in Celsius
  **Your browser information:**

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/92.0.4515.159 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Use getters and setters to Control Access to an Object

Link to the challenge:

You have two problems that I can see.

First, it tells you:

When instantiated with a Fahrenheit value, Thermostat should set the correct temperature .

They want the property to be called “temperature”, not “temp” or “fahren”. Typically the private member has the same name as the getter/setter, just prepended with an underscore.

Secondly, this formula looks wrong:

this._fahren = (cels*9) / (5+32);

When I fix those, your code passes for me.

1 Like

Thanks, yes, I did continue searching and found the hint that the name of the getter/setter needs to match the other code.
And yeah math isn’t my strong suit.

thanks!

Yeah, for web dev, you don’t have to be a math genius, but having some basic math skills is good. I always say that most 12 year-olds know enough math for most of what we do. I think being able to invert a formula like:

C = (F - 32) * (5 / 9)

should be a good goal. I think very, very basic algebraic manipulation should be a good thing to have. If that is a struggle for you, I might look for some tutorial videos on basic algebra and formula manipulation. (I’m not even sure of the name here.) You don’t need a lot of advanced stuff (for most web dev jobs) but some basics will make your life easier.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.