Apple Banning Templated Apps!

Apple Banning Templated Apps!
0.0 0

An interesting read. As a new but aspiring web developer, I do not see this as anything but progress. It seems to me like a simple demonopolization of the small business coding market. I think policies like this one presented by Apple, could give that final push to small business to step up their game and hire local tech talent, as well open up the market to new coders with skill, that maybe can’t get one of the ten jobs available at an App Templating Company, to show their skills and compete for business.

Of course, as I said, aspiring web developer. I could be entirely off base here…
What do ya’ll think?

It raises an interesting problem. On one hand could this drive more work towards freelancers and development companies that specialize in giving clients a completely original design? Perhaps. On the other hand, shouldn’t a client be able to put their money (sometimes very limited amounts) where it suits them best? I’d say definitely yes.

Now it very well could be at least some of these small businesses honestly don’t need downloadable apps and would fair just as well with mobile users with just a well-made responsive website. But…depending on what that business needs to be able to do with that website, it could get pretty costly.

Also, what about frameworks? Let’s say I build my app UI with Bootstrap and let’s say I don’t change much of the built-in styles. Now let’s say I convert my app for android and iO for inclusion in their stores, do I technically fall under the “template” category since I relied heavily on predefined styles? Is it just the look of the app itself? Or will I get rejected just for using well known Bootstrap classes?

Probably to counter App Flipping where the same app is reskinned and resold as a separate product. Google App Store is littered with such.

I’ve read a book about how it’s done, where as an example a pinball game was used. The engine stays the same, only assets change like textures and sounds. For example a Christmas version with snowflakes, summer version with beach or a Halloween version with pumpkins.

The practice is not bad by itself, only that it is a resource hog for hosting companies, and potentially can oversaturate the platform market with low-quality products. And who wants that?

Oh absolutely, and supposedly that’s their aim. But it’s going beyond just that apparently. There was one comment on the article from a Ali Ispahany (if you want to find it to read the rest, I’m just quoting the most relevant part):

"I am the founder of a small firm that also builds apps for small businesses, however we do not use an app generation system for ios apps. We had an initial call with our Apple representative about 4 weeks ago, showed him the direction we were going, and were esentially given a thumbs up. Then last Friday had another call with the exact same rep, who now had a totally different message.

Even though we do not use an app generation system, he said that “it appears like we do” and thus those types of apps would not be approved.
We then went back to the app that was rejected and redesigned the entire app, and it was rejected again. I have now appealed the rejection, and have sent several emails to my Apple rep with no reply."

Which makes me wonder what now flags an app for rejection.