If I write my Nav like this:
[code]
WORK
TOOLS
ABOUT
CONTACT
[/code]
There is a blank space after each link which looks bad if I change the background color on hover.
However if I write it like this (which is harder to read):
[code]
WORKTOOLSABOUTCONTACT
[/code]
That space is no longer there.
I am using Atom as my editor. Has anybody had a problem with this or know a fix?
Below is the CSS and and a screenshot with the blank space selected.
nav {height: 55px;
float: right;
a {
display: inline-block;
height: 100%;
border-left: 2px solid $gray;
padding: 14px 25px;
font-weight: 500;
color: $gray;
text-decoration:none;
}
}
That’s actually not Atom… that’s just the way that HTML inline-block elements work. If there’s a gap between the closing tag of one element, and the opening tag of the next, that translates to a space between the elements.
You can fix the problem the way you did - by squishing the closing and opening tags together - or you can use comments, like this:
<nav>
<a href="#">WORK</a><!---
---><a href="#">TOOLS</a><!---
---><a href="#">ABOUT</a><!---
---><a href="#">CONTACT</a>
</nav>
1 Like
Thanks for the info on inline-block, I had no idea.
I changed the display from inline-block to block and floated the links to the left and this removed the space while the code is still easy to read.