Backend or Frontend? Which is better?

I originally intended to go into frontend development. I have learned HTML, CSS, and some JS. I know as much about backed development as a sparrow knows about chemistry.

Now I’m rethinking it though. Which am I really cut out for. What would be the best choice?

Would you guys hash it out in front of me and discuss the pros and cons of back and front end? Talk about the different skills necessary, and what the day to day involves.

Thankyou.

They are not better or worse, they largely depend on each other. You can’t show the backend without a frontend and vice versa. If you want to do full stack you have to learn both, at least to some extent.

Also, just in general knowing both helps no matter what side you are working on. The same goes for teams, the better you understand the other side the better you can collaborate with the people on that side.

No one can answer that question for you. You have to try it out and figure out what you like the best (and where you have the best opportunities work-wise).

1 Like

Thankyou @lasjorg . Then I will learn both.

While there are certainly software projects where there is a clear line between frontend and backend developers, it’s becoming increasingly common for web developers to be able to handle the full tech stack. Depending on the teams you’re on, you might find yourself as more of an expert on one area, but it’s safe to assume that you’ll need to be competent in both frontend and backend.

Thank you Ariel. I will plan to learn both.

Hello!

To confirm your choice: The job market in Germany has a few hundred offers for isolated front-end or backend roles and thousands for full stack developer or just software and web developer roles (which means generalists).

You can still specialize, but the trend shows companies want more developers that can cover the complete stack nowadays.

Thank you all for your kind help.

There are two terms in web development that are most commonly used: frontend and backend. Both front-end developers and back-end developers are getting the . Additionally, back-end development requires enormous skills (in terms of coding and DSA-Data Structures and Algorithms). Considering these factors, people consider the backend better than the front end.

But we will not give you any biased solution. It is totally depended on which kind of operations you could handle it better. For that, do the internship in both and evaluate yourself.

None is better than the other, they are different layers of web infrastructure.

The frontend is the layer that’s rendered by the browser and presented to the user.
The backend is the layer that’s related to server-side programming and the database.
The backend and frontend communicate with each other through APIs.

Since you know some JS, it’d be wiser to know more JS.

JS can be used on both the frontend and backend (NodeJS, ExpressJS, NestJS).
Mastery of programming is what makes it easier to pivot when the time is right.

Thanks @IanoNjuguna, that was very helpful. I am trying to learn Java Script very well. It is, from what I’ve read, one of the most important languages out there, and I’ve also read people often fail to learn it thoroughly. I want to learn it thoroughly.

1 Like

This sounds like something generated by a bot and is not consistent with my experience in the industry.

I thought it clashed a little with what everybody else was saying! :slightly_smiling_face:

Choose frontend if you prefer visible impact and creativity. Choose backend for critical functionality and problem-solving. Consider your interests and career goals. Full-stack development combines both.