Basic Algorithm Scripting - Falsy Bouncer

I don’t understand why my function isn’t working. I see the function putting each value of the array into Boolean(). Then it uses a ternary operator. If Boolean() returns true nothing happens, if it returns false, the array is spliced that element is removed.

**Your code so far**
function bouncer(arr) {
for (let i of arr) {
  Boolean(arr[i]) ? arr : arr.splice(i, 1);
}
return arr;
}

console.log(bouncer([7, "ate", "", false, 9]));

**Your browser information:**

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/103.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Basic Algorithm Scripting - Falsy Bouncer

Link to the challenge:

This is not the proper use case for a ternary. Regardless, because you are mutating the array while looping, i may not be the index you are hoping to remove.

First, a ternary is not a general purpose replacement for an if statement. This is a bad place to put a ternary.

Second, mutation of an array as you iterate over it can lead to buggy and surprising results, because you are reindexing the array as you loop.

Also, you might want to console.log(i) to make sure you understand what you are referencing with arr[i].

I see thank you! Is there a good rule of thumb for when I should use a ternary and when not to?

Got it! Thank you, that makes sense.

A ternary is for returning a value based upon a condition.

An if statement is for executing logic based upon a condition.

I see, thx! I solved the problem btw! This was my solution. However, when I used a for of loop I would get empty braces instead of the answer. I thought for of iterated through each element of the array.

function bouncer(arr) {
  let result = [];
  for (let i = 0; i < arr.length; i++) {
    if (Boolean(arr[i]) === true) {
      result.push(arr[i]);
    }
  }
  return result;
}

It does, but you were mutating the array during the iteration over it, causing unexpected results.

Ah I see, thank you!