Basic CSS: Improve Compatibility with Browser Fallbacks

I added red to the background and it is not working. I tried doing it in different browsers (IE, Firefox, and Chrome).

<style>
	:root {
		--red-color: red;
	}

.red-box {

background: var(--red-color, red);
		height: 200px;
		width: 200px;
	}
</style>
<div class="red-box"></div>type or paste code here
6 Likes

Hi there froxas908, i had the same problem. Carefully read the instructions before you try it:

Your .red-box rule should include a fallback with the background set to red immediately before the existing background declaration.

When you put it like this: “background: var(–red-color);” you are not reading the instructions. It says “before” the existing background declaration. So the answer will be:

background: red;
background: var(–red-color);

31 Likes

thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had the same mistake, thank you so much!

1 Like

This is a fallback in case the browser doesn’t support custom properties (variables).

background: var(--red-color);

This is a custom property fallback value in case the given variable is not yet defined.

background: var(--red-color, red);

5 Likes

thanks :sunglasses::sunglasses: been getting this wrong for like …:japanese_goblin:

2 Likes

Thank you i fall in the same mistake xD

2 Likes

wtf:joy: thank you omg

2 Likes

I think “improve-compatibility-with-browser-fallbacks” is again broken.
Can anyone confirm?
PS : i can’t yet post the links

1 Like

Why do you think is broken?
If you use the “Ask for help” button inside the challenge you will create a forum post that has already your code formatted in it
Or just copy your code here using the </> button in the post editor to format you code

2 Likes

i had the same problem also, Thank you :smiley:

1 Like

Yes it is!! been stuck for a few hours, looking for the right answers from this forum…but none of the answers did not work :confused:

1 Like

Thanks. i have this problem now but with your comment, i have been able to solve the background issue.

1 Like
background: var(--red-color,);

and still not working  --' 
2 Likes

It is not working tried everything possible;;;.

2 Likes

This worked:
background: var(–red-color);

2 Likes

You have changed the existing css rule, that may be the issue

2 Likes

Thanks for the solution bro!

2 Likes

It’s actually working. I had the same issue (with writing the code and it was saying that I hadn’t done it properly), but I chose to “Reset all code” and then just wrote one line -> background: red; and it worked. maybe if you change something in CSS (though you delete) it has some kind of…bug?

3 Likes

I had the same too
Thanx

1 Like