Basic JavaScript - Word Blanks

Tell us what’s happening:
Hi all. I have tried everything on the site, and still says its wrong. Any suggestions please!

Your code so far

const myNoun = "dog";
const myAdjective = "big";
const myVerb = "ran";
const myAdverb = "quickly";
// Only change code below this line
const wordBlanks = "My" + myNoun + "saw a" + myAdjective + "cat" + "and" + myVerb +"very"+ myAdverb + "I heard a loud noise"  + "and then" + "slowly" + "walked away."; // Change this line
// Only change code above this line

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/104.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Basic JavaScript - Word Blanks

Link to the challenge:

Try console.loging the string. What does it look like?

// running tests
wordBlanks should contain all of the words assigned to the variables myNoun myVerb myAdjective and myAdverb separated by non-word characters (and any additional words of your choice). // tests completed

Yes. And what does your string look like?

const wordBlanks = “My” + myNoun + “saw a” + myAdjective + “cat” + “and” + myVerb +“very”+ myAdverb + “I heard a loud noise” + “and then” + “slowly” + “walked away.”;

Using the + operator basically smushes the values on the right and left into a single string.
So if you write:

“I” + “like” + “coding”

you will get

Ilikecoding

Notice, there are no spaces. So pay attention to this. You will need spaces…

This is what I tried:
const wordBlanks = “My”+ myNoun +“saw a”+ myAdjective +“cat and”+ myVerb +“very”+ myAdverb +“I heard a loud noise then slowly walked away.”;

and this:
const wordBlanks = “My”+myNoun+“saw a”+myAdjective+“cat and”+myVerb+“very”+myAdverb+“I heard a loud noise then slowly walked away.”;

I’m asking about the final result, not your code. What does the string you created look like?

Console.log() the string and look at it.

console.log(wordBlanks);

if you scroll down in the bottom-right corner of your screen (also called a console area), you will see a print-out of whatever you logged using the console.log command.
(it is sometimes hidden as the result of the test comes first, so just scroll down to see it)

SyntaxError: unknown: Invalid left-hand side in assignment expression. (6:0)

4 | const myAdverb = “quickly”;
5 | // Only change code below this line

6 | Console.log(wordBlanks) = “My”+myNoun+“saw a”+myAdjective+“cat and”+myVerb+“very”+myAdverb+“I heard a loud noise then slowly walked away.”; // Change this line
| ^
7 | // Only change code above this line

SyntaxError: unknown: Invalid left-hand side in assignment expression. (6:0)

That’s wrong syntax. Don’t do that

Put the console.log statement on a separate line after you create your string.

And look at the result. There aren’t any spaces between the words. You need to include spaces.

SyntaxError: unknown: Missing semicolon. (6:38)

4 | const myAdverb = “quickly”;
5 | // Only change code below this line

6 | const wordBlanks = “My”+ myNoun +“saw” “a”+ myAdjective +“cat” “and”+ myVerb +“very”+ myAdverb +“I heard a loud noise then slowly walked away.”;
| ^
7 | console.log(wordBlanks); // Change this line
8 | // Only change code above this line

Yes, the code will error if you do that.

Why did you delete some of the + between the strings?

const wordBlanks = “My” + myNoun + “saw” + “a” + myAdjective + “cat” + “and” + myVerb + “very” + myAdverb + “I heard a loud noise then slowly walked away.”;

console.log(wordBlanks); // Change this line
This is what I got;
// running tests

wordBlanks

should contain all of the words assigned to the variables

myNoun

myVerb

myAdjective

and

myAdverb

separated by non-word characters (and any additional words of your choice). // tests completed // console output MydogsawabigcatandranveryquicklyI heard a loud noise then slowly walked away. MydogsawabigcatandranveryquicklyI heard a loud noise then slowly walked away.

And do you see any spaces between the words in the first part of the sentence here?