Best way to convert separate numbers into a number?

I´m doing a function to convert numbers in letters (three hundred twenty-one) into the real number (321)

function parseInt(string) {

var numberContainer = []

const leyend = [
      ["one",1],["two",2],["three",3],["four",4],["five",5],["six",6],["seven",7],["eight",8],["nine",9],["ten",10],["twenty",20],["thirty",30],["forty",40],["fifty",50],["sixty",60],
      ["seventy",70],["eighty",80],["ninety",90],
      ["eleven",11],["twelve",12],["thirteen",13],["fourteen",14],["fifteen",15],["sixteen",16],["seventeen",17],["eighteen",18],["nineteen",19],["hundred",100],
      ["thousand",1000],["-",false],["and",false]
    ]

var stringContainer = string.split(" ");

//Conditionals to fix any problems with the use of "and" and "-"
        for (let i=0;i<stringContainer.length;i++){
          for (let j=0;j<leyend.length;j++){
            if (stringContainer[i] === leyend[j][0]){
              numberContainer.push(leyend[j][1])
            }
            else if (stringContainer[i].includes("-")){
              var res = stringContainer[i].split("-");
              stringContainer[i] = res[0];
              stringContainer.push(res[1]);
            }
            else if (stringContainer[i].includes(" and ")){
              var res = stringContainer[i].split("and");
            }
          }
        }

const definitiveNumber = numberContainer.reduce((a, b) => a < b ? a*b : a+b);

return definitiveNumber

}

I´m having problems. The function works perfectly until it hits numbers like 1000.

Once I pass to the function numbers like 1250, 1388, 2956…etc The function doesn´t convert them right.

I don´t get why it works with units, decimals, and hundreds, but it doesn´t once the word “thousand” come up
–UPDATE: the problem doesn´t seem to be in thousand. But rather in that the numbers that come with “thousand” the “Hundreds” doesn´t add uo. For example 3033 returns correctly. But 3233 doesn´t.

console.log(parseInt("nine hundred and fifty")) // correct, returns 950

console.log(parseInt("sixty-four")) // correct, returns 64

console.log(parseInt("three hundred seventy two")) // correct, returns 372

console.log(parseInt("three thousand thirty three")) // correct, returns 3033

console.log(parseInt("three thousand three hundred and six")) // wrong, returns 3109

console.log(parseInt("eight thousand five hundred fifty-seven")) // wrong, returns 8162

console.log(parseInt("five thousand four hundred fifty-seven")) // wrong, returns 5161

show us your code

but a for loop can totally be the right direction, plus I imagine if statements

I´m doing a function to convert numbers in letters (three hundred twenty-one) into the real number (321)

function parseInt(string) {

var numberContainer = []

const leyend = [
      ["one",1],["two",2],["three",3],["four",4],["five",5],["six",6],["seven",7],["eight",8],["nine",9],["ten",10],["twenty",20],["thirty",30],["forty",40],["fifty",50],["sixty",60],
      ["seventy",70],["eighty",80],["ninety",90],
      ["eleven",11],["twelve",12],["thirteen",13],["fourteen",14],["fifteen",15],["sixteen",16],["seventeen",17],["eighteen",18],["nineteen",19],["hundred",100],
      ["thousand",1000],["-",false],["and",false]
    ]

var stringContainer = string.split(" ");
        console.log(stringContainer)

for (let i=0;i<stringContainer.length;i++){
          for (let j=0;j<leyend.length;j++){
            if (stringContainer[i] === leyend[j][0]){
              numberContainer.push(leyend[j][1])
            }
            else if (stringContainer[i].includes("-")){
              var res = stringContainer[i].split("-");
            }
            else if (stringContainer[i].includes(" and ")){
              var res = stringContainer[i].split("and");
            }
          }
        }

const definitiveNumber = numberContainer.reduce((a, b) => a < 10* b ? a*b : a+b);

return definitiveNumber

}

I´m having problems. The function works perfectly until it hits numbers like 1000.

Once I pass to the function numbers like 1250, 1388, 2956…etc The function doesn´t convert them right.

I don´t get why it works with units, decimals, and hundreds, but it doesn´t once the word “thousand” come up

how do you check if number a is bigger than number b? simply doing a > b
how could you check if a number is ten times bigger? well, there is this thing called multiplication… a > 10 * b

Funny, still not woking and it doesn´t change the result putting a < b than a < 10*b

Do you have any idea why would the numbers from 1000 doesn´t get the result right, but the ones from 999 to zero does get them right.

Post your whole code again

1 Like

Done! Any help would be appreciated :relaxed:

can you also give a few of the function calls that give the undesired result?

Doing it now.

By the way, now updating it I can see the problem doesn´t seem to be in thousand. But rather in that the numbers that come with “thousand” the “Hundreds” doesn´t add uo. For example 3033 returns correctly. But 3233 doesn´t.

there may be something wrong with the logic in the reduce, because if I write parseInt("two thousand and three hundred twenty-one") after the loops it is as follow:

stringContainer: ["two","thousand","and","three","hundred","twenty","one"]
numberContainer: [2,1000,false,3,100,20,1]

Do you know what a and b represent in the reduce function? I think the issue is there

I see, but would that explain the bug? I mean if i pass the same string withouth the “-” and the “and” it stills returns the same number. (the same wrong number)

Yes, the reduce method is not doing what you think it should do

Do you know what a and b are?