[Beta] Challenge: Install and Set Up Mongoose

I have set up a working Mongo connection in glitch (I’m pretty sure it works because mongoose.connection.readyState == 1) but I can’t pass the test on beta.freecodecamp.com. It always times out, with the text ‘// running test’ underneath the challenge, and it never resolves. I’ve tried both Chrome and Safari. Figured I’d post here before filing an issue on github, because never underestimate user error. Is there a simple fix for this problem? How do you know if it is time to post an issue?

Link: https://phase-archeology.glitch.me/

Follow-up: I was able to go on to the subsequent challenge, “Create a Model” and the test was successfully validated. However, the first challenge still won’t validate. If anyone else encounters this issue, or other issues in the APIs Beta section, I’d be happy to talk about it.

Hello, @halfalpine!

I went through all Beta Mongo/Mongoose challenge and I wasn’t able to get any of the tests to validate (I ended up doing my own tests) even after testing it on Safari, Firefox and Chrome (exactly the same as what you described in the first post). :frowning:

Would you mind sharing with us how you managed to get “Create a Model” to validate? :slight_smile:

EDIT: @Selhar1, @rudolphh—would you happen to know anything about this, too, or did you give up on the in-browser validation?

Yep, i’m having the same problem too, i asked Quincy about it and he told me to open an issue.
It’s not a browser/glitch.io problem, though, as i’m running the tests on my local machine.

Thank you very much! I literally just read your Issue on GitHub before you posted this. :slight_smile:

While you are here, I do have one unrelated question—do the challenge descriptions and instructions for the Mongo/Mongoose part of the beta curriculum make much sense to you? I just want to get a second opinion before I start a thread/Issue about it, in case I was just too tired/frustrated. Thank you very much in advance! :slight_smile:

Yeah, i ignored those shortly after reading them (i had the same issue with the FCC react/redux tutorials, so i just thought it wasn’t my kind of learning).

It felt like they were written for people who already know to to use mongo/mongoose, and not exactly for people trying to understand the basic principles of what it tries to do.

1 Like

Ah, thank you very much! I struggled with it for about two hours before stumbled upon a quickstart guide in the Mongoose documentation. :frowning:

Anyhow! Thank you very much for your time. :slight_smile: Hope things are going well for you!

1 Like

I had to look up the code I used to open the connection to Mongo–I wasn’t able to troubleshoot it without googling–but I think the problem it solved was a timeout issue with the request. I’m new to Glitch but I think you can look at the code using the link from the post? If not, please let me know!

Glad to hear that I wasn’t the only one facing this problem. :+1:t3:

1 Like