Binding this keyword for components receiving state as props

Tell us what’s happening:
My Code is running well, but am wondering aren’t we supposed to bind this to the child Navbar component??
Am confused!! Need help

Your code so far

class MyApp extends React.Component {
constructor(props) {
  super(props);
  this.state = {
    name: 'CamperBot'
  }
}
render() {
  return (
     <div>
       <Navbar /* your code here */ name={this.state.name}/>
     </div>
  );
}
};

class Navbar extends React.Component {
constructor(props) {
  super(props);
}
render() {
  return (
  <div>
    <h1>Hello, my name is: {this.props.name} </h1>
  </div>
  );
}
};

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/81.0.4044.138 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Pass State as Props to Child Components

Link to the challenge:

I’m not sure but, this is what I think I could be wrong about this.

The challenges ask us to do

The MyApp component is stateful and renders a Navbar component as a CHILD. Pass the name property in its state down to the CHILD component, then show the name in the h1 tag that’s part of the Navbar render method.

Aren’t we supposed to bind this to the child Navbar component??
No as we are asked to pass it down. As the Navbar has it’s child as it’s component. We are not asked to bind it. As it explains above it talks about passing the element down from the parent elements. We are not binding it we are calling it from it’s parent.
The same way you could inhert a blue eye color from your parents.
The parent passes it’s blue eye genes to you.

1 Like

In JavaScript, this is what’s referred to as the calling context. It’s the object some thing (some property, be it a value or a function etc) belongs to.

So in the class, where you’ve written this.state.name, that’s the property name, which belongs to the object state, which belongs to the object created by the MyApp class. There isn’t any need to bind anything.

The complication with JavaScript is that every function creates its own calling context. If you define a normal function (or method you would say here, a function attached to the MyApp class) –

constructor(props) {
    super(props);
    this.state = {
    }
  }

printName() {
    return this.state.name;
  }

render() {
    return (
       <div>
         <Navbar nameFn={this.printName}/>
       </div>
    );
  }
}

Well, now there is a problem, because when you try to call that function in Navbar, it isn’t going to return CamperBot. this is not going to refer to the object created by MyApp, it’s going to refer to the object created by Navbar. And unless Navbar also has a state object with a name property, it isn’t going to work.

So that is when you need to bind things – when you pass a function that uses this into another calling context. What bind does is wrap the function in another function that keeps hold of the original this context. With a static value it doesn’t matter – it’s a value that goes straight into the child component’s props.

So:

• if you’re using a class, and
  • if you are defining normal methods*…
  • that refer to this, and
  • you want to pass those methods to a child component

Then you’ll need to bind them in the constructor – it’s a single, quite ugly looking line for each one, like so:

constructor(props) {
    super(props);
    this.state = {
    }
    this.printName = this.printName.bind(this);
  }

printName() {
    return this.state.name;
  }

render() {
    return (
       <div>
         <Navbar nameFn={this.printName}/>
       </div>
    );
  }
}

Sorry if this seems a little like gibberish, it’s a painful bit of JavaScript for a lot of people learning the language. For some reading and some practice, I’d Google for explanations of this, you might need to go through quite a few until you get an explanation that makes the most sense (I remember it taking a long while until it fully clicked for me)

* you can avoid needing to bind by using arrow functions, which is nicer to read and write, but I’ll not complicate things further.

1 Like

Thanks alot KittyKora