Blockchain career advice

Hello everybody, I’m entering the world of blockchain. I have a little experience in web development with JavaScript, and i am familiar with Python, but in my way, i discovered that a blockchain developer can work on either solana using rust to develop smart contracts or on Ethereum using Solidity, and i discovered that the transactions on solana are faster than on Ethereum. However, the value of ether is greater than SOL does that matter? based on what i choose ?

I mean you’ve pretty much missed the boat here, what are you aiming to do with this?

I did Rust stuff up until a few months ago; a load of the advertised jobs whenever I looked were always crypto stuff, number of those jobs been trending downwards for a while now. I mean the majority of them were extremely dodgy anyway; they tended to pay well but that has to be traded off against the likelihood of their company ceasing to exist (either when it got caught by authorities, or when it burnt all of the real cash it had managed to scam).

3 Likes

I understand your concerns, and you might be right about the current situation in the crypto space. However, I believe that blockchain technology will continue to play a significant role in the future, especially with the rise of Web3 and its decentralized applications. People are investing in crypto for various reasons, including its potential to revolutionize finance, governance…

…say VC people who spaffed large amounts of money on vapourware and would like to claw it back. The issue you have is that almost all companies involved are exceptionally suspect at this point in time. The technologies involved do have usecases, but they’re minor. The usecases involving people actually making money have normally involved fraud or similar. Web3 isn’t a thing; the technologies aren’t generally useful: people try to “get to the moon” via some Ponzi scheme, convert the winnings from that to real money that real people can use, then get out as fast as possible before regulatory authorities catch on

1 Like

Hi!

My nephew is part of a venture capital firm that focuses on fintec start ups and none in their portfolio is using blockchain technologies. Just good old plane “Web 2.0”.

This gives you an idea how unpopular “Web 3.0” is in the industry right now, at least among the legit start ups and business angels.

A point to consider.

3 Likes

I agree with your point about the risks associated with money-related industries, but I believe that the main purpose of blockchain is to empower individuals by returning control of their information and facilitating direct transactions. Web3 is still in its early stages, but the idea of removing intermediaries in transactions is compelling and aligns with the goals of decentralization and user empowerment that many resources highlight. Additionally, it’s worth noting that some countries are beginning to create regulations for cryptocurrencies, which could help legitimize and stabilize the industry. Despite the current challenges, I’m not sure why freecodecamp is developing a path and here s a link https://web3.freecodecamp.org/ if entering the world of blockchain development is that risky .

1 Like

Web3 is just a buzzword, it’s not a real thing. It’s utterly vague and kinda means whatever the conference speaker/influencer/etc wants it to mean

That’s all well and good, but what that means is the main usecase for crypto has been making transactions that would otherwise be illegal.

Yes, but regulation deliberately makes it harder to enter the market (and as this is finance, much harder). So you end up with fewer, more trusted players. It not likely to mean more jobs, it likely (in this case) means drastically fewer. Also, the aim of many of the proposed regulations [currently] is to classify holdings as assets, similar to shares. “shares” isn’t really a huge job sector.

It was extremely fashionable, people like money, and a few years ago, there was the small possibility of making lots of money with little effort.

There are some potential usecases, but nothing currently has worked very well bar buying illegal stuff (where the incredible slowness of transactions & ease of being scammed isn’t an issue) + a small amount of people becoming incredibly rich.

Re. OP question, learn what you fancy, but Rust isn’t going anywhere and is fairly widely used (you’re always going to get a job if you’re very skilled at using it), whereas Solidity is a specific tech tied to a thing basically noone uses. So make bets based on that: if you genuinely think the latter is going to be useful to you, go for it

Let me share my two cents on the matter. I worked during the peak of the blockchain hype, which was about 3-5 years ago. I was directly involved with all major cryptocurrencies, including participating in a project that built a blockchain for a company. Unfortunately, the hype has died down, and now no one is as interested in blockchain as they were in the past few years. Today, blockchain is heavily concentrated around Bitcoin, Ethereum, and the top 10 coins.

The good news is that there’s still so much potential for blockchain and smart contracts that hasn’t been fully tapped yet. So, if you’re considering a career in blockchain, I recommend looking for projects outside of cryptocurrencies as a form of money. Instead, focus on how blockchain can genuinely help people. For example, projects related to document registration, charity, Patreon-style business models, etc. That way, you’ll be positioned for the next wave of innovation, which is running parallel with AI—Web3.

But if you want to work with blockchain and cryptocurrency specifically, I would strongly suggest looking at the top exchanges in your country. That’s where the "money is.

I firmly believe there is not a single problem blockchain and smart contracts can solve that can not be accomplished by other technologies.

As for the coins, they’re more or less a scam is my opinion. Intense value fluctuation that has every transaction recorded for everyone else in the ledger to see.

I’ll eat a hat if blockchain can do something better than a database can, excluding all crypto currency.