Build a palindrome checker

hi can anybody give me advice on how to complete this project I tried to build a function that iterates through the string below and returns the resullt i also added a if statement that states if str !=== i return “is not a palindrome” i think im missing something any advice?

const textInput = document.getElementById(“text-input”);

const checkButton = document.getElementById(“check-btn”);

const result = document.getElementById(“result”);

const str = /[^A-Za-z0-9_.]/.match().join().reverse();
for (let i = 0; i < str.length; i++)
return result;
if (str !== i) {
return “is not a palindrome”

}

checkButton.addEventListener(“check-btn”,)

first issue: match is a string method, and receives a regex as argument. Also, you would need to use the g flag to get all the matches.
join returns a string, reverse is not a string method but an array method.

you are outputting result, and nothing after is being executed. But a return is valid only inside a function, and it doesn’t look like you are in a function.

What is this comparison for? str is a string, i is a number. What do you want to obtain from their comparison?

this is uncomplete

Also, you need to get the string with only the alphanumerical characters, I am unsure how that regex would reach this.

so I Created the below function

function palindrome
(str) {
let newstr = str.replace(/[^A-Za-z0-9_.]/g, “”).join().reverse();
for (let i = 0; i < (newstr.length)/2; i++);
if (newstr [i]!== newstr[newstr.length-i-1]){
return${str} is not a palindrome ;
}
else{
return ${str} is a palindrome;
}
}

am I on the right track? also Im not getting output when check-button is clicked Im not sure if I should add a onclick event to the input or button element because I already have a onclick element that alerts the user if there is no text in the input box