Build a Random Quote Machine Help - React

Hello all,

I’m trying to complete Project 1 of the Front End Libraries using React only. I am able to read quotes programatically and update them in the state, but then when I try to render them I’m getting ‘TypeError: Cannot read property ‘quote’ of undefined’, but when I do not render the quotes object, I can see it is being captured in the state as an object with no issues.
So I’m confused with this behaviour on why when I try to render it is undefined, but when I don’t render it, state in the console shows good.
Below is what I get when I don’t render the state:
Capture

Other funny thing is that I’m logging the type of the quotes in the state, and I’m getting to logs even though I print it once, on one line I get type String, and on the second one I get Object, why would that be?

Code below:

class Quote extends React.Component{
  constructor(props){
    super(props);
    this.state = {
      msg: '',
      randomIndex: 0
    };
    this.changeQuote = this.changeQuote.bind(this);
  }

changeQuote(){  
  }

componentDidMount() { fetch('https://gist.githubusercontent.com/camperbot/5a022b72e96c4c9585c32bf6a75f62d9/raw/e3c6895ce42069f0ee7e991229064f167fe8ccdc/quotes.json', {
      headers : { 
        'Accept': 'application/json'
       }
    })
      .then(response => response.json())
      .then(data => this.setState({msg:(data.quotes)}));
  }

render() {
    const quotes = this.state.msg
    console.log(typeof(quotes));
    return(
    <div>
        <button onClick = {this.changeQuote}>Change Quote</button>
        <p>{quotes[0]['quote']}</p>
    </div>
  )}
}

ReactDOM.render(<Quote/>, document.getElementById('root'));

Any help is greatly appreciated, I already tried everything, googled multiple times but I can’t get it to render a quote from the state.

Thanks!

Kevin

Try

{this.state.msg[0].quote}