Business Analytics

Am pursuing my masters un Business Analytics. What do companies look while hiring someone? what projects should i do? what certificates will add value to my resume?

Speaking from my standpoint, these certificates offer experience. Learning leads to you becoming a better and more competent programmer. That is the value they offer.

As for projects on your resume, they should be things you care about. That have some sort of meaning to you personally and look the best you can make them. This means properly formatted files with testing and of course the dreaded complete documentation. While documentation can be a drag, it helps.

For me personally, my projects are more game related than anything else. That’s the kind of stuff I’m drawn to. People do all kinds of things. I know a person obsessed with music. I also know a few people that love art and photography that have built online galleries. There’s also others that build stuff to help communities they’re a part of.

Companies want someone that are friendly and will get along with the rest of the staff, people that can do the work even if it means getting stuck on a problem and googling, and know how to conduct themselves in a professional setting. If they’re rude, it’s a huge HR risk. They don’t mind a little extra work needed, but as long as there is something being done. As for the last one, well you can tell that fun story about what you found your neighbor’s dog doing in the petunias but there’s a time and place for it. And it’s not in front of clients.

1 Like

Thank you for the information.